Help please - letting agent says that guarantor must pay rent

Options
posting on behalf of a freind,
who was declared bankrupt feb 2010 he has applied to rent a furnished flat and was asked for a garantor and a bond because of the bankrupcy which he supplied
However today the letting agent moved the goalpost and say the garantor must pay the rent
1 is this normal for a bankrupty?
2 or his he being discrimanated ? and can the letting agent do this?

i dont know myself and he is very down at the moment so any advice would be great

Comments

• Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You maybe get a few more expiienced resposes on the
    Bankruptcy & Living With It
    board, someone there should be able to give you better advice
    :A
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • wok_boy
    wok_boy Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    I'm always under the impression that a guarantor is there in case payments fall behind or are not made at all. Looks like the landlord is getting a little panicky and jumping the gun.
    BR 4/10/07
    ED 11/04/08

BSC Member No 93
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i'd agree...
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not normal practice at all, as others have said, the guarantor is just there as a back up but the main person is the 'account' holder.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where a guarantor has entered into an agreement, this means that in the event of a tenant being unable to meet their obligations under the tenancy agreement, whether it is for overdue rent, damage to the property or whatever, the Guarantor is legally bound to accept the liabilities on behalf of the tenant.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Trom
    Trom Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    It's your friend that'll be entering into a contract, not the guarantor. I don't see how they can legaly ask for this. And what do they care which account the money goes out of as long it's getting to them (and how will they know). It sounds like either the landlord is ignorant or trying to put your friend off. The agents should know better though.

Edit: Of course what everyone else said applies - if your friend can't pay then the gurantor will have to.
    BR 22/10/2009 ED 08/07/2010
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the letting agent is telling lies and doing anything to get money, shock shock, not.

Guarantor is just there to guarantee the rent, what is says on the tin.

Complete lies.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure