Womens weekly mags...... no knitting patterns !

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
14 replies 3.2K views
cherydeecherydee Forumite
752 Posts
Do they no longer put the odd knitting pattern nowadays in womens weekly magazines. Got a pile of magazines off the mother in law the other day and thought I would look through to see if I could find any baby knitting patterns..... not a single knitting pattern to be found.
I know knitting now is not popular......hard to find a wool shop nowadays. Just wondering if anyone knows of any magazine I can flick through for a knitting pattern. Thanks

Replies

• sethsgransethsgran Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    try this site www.knittingpatterncentral.com not a magazine I know but free patterns. Yes Womans Weekly still do patterns, just not every week and a couple of times a year they do a knitting special. Also you could join www.ravelry.com it can take a while to be accepted for some reason but worth the wait, 1000's patterns some free some to buy and download.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • cherydeecherydee Forumite
    752 Posts
    Hi sethsgran, I've had a look on the ravelry site and from what I can see they are not wools I am familiar with, are they not mostly patterns from overseas. I don't think I would be any good at adapting the patterns for dk or 4 ply.
    I'll keep a look out for when they are in Womans Weekly.
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a yarn conversion site here for wool etc .. http://www.considerthelily.co.uk/knitting-needle-and-yarn-conversion-charts-4-w.asp scroll down for the yarn/wool
    752 Posts
    What an interesting site...thank you. Debbie Bliss seems to have some lovely patterns. There is a lovely one for a babys bell sleeved shaped cardigan in the eco baby book, but means buying the book.
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    check out your local library for the book, ours does some Debbie Bliss books
    752 Posts
    Great idea.......luckily library is at the bottom of our street, I'll come back with an armful now. Thanks
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently borrowed a book called Fairy Tale Knits and I knit the most beautiful stripey blanket for my soon to be latest grandchild:):):)
  • ginnyknitginnyknit Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Womans Weekly now has a dedicated craft mag, the latest is out at the moment, not bad but I tend to get most of my patterns off Ravelry now - they give you details of plys and needles on most of the patterns so you can use your own wool. I have to agree though Debbie Bliss's books are amazing and not difficult to knit, I must check our library, just that its a depressing place as all the windows are boarded up due to vandalism!
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
    752 Posts
    I just never thought of the library for knitting books....fingers crossed they've got some upto date ones in.
    752 Posts
    Managed to get the 2 Debbie Bliss baby books that they had at the library, although they did not have the Ecobaby one which had the matinee coat in I liked. There was a lovely patchwork square knitted buggy blanket and a lovely garter stitch duffle coat in one of the books. My libary ticket had expired....so shows how often I visit the library, but thanks for the suggestion sethsgran. Well worth the visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals