🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reducing gas so we don't get in debt

Options
2»

Comments

• msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another thing to look at when adjusting your time settings is whether you have your hot water coming on for the same amount of time as your heating. Most controls don't allow you to set water & heating independently, so you end up paying a fortune heating water that you don't need. I set the timer to come on twice a day for brief periods then manually switch the heating back on if it's cold and switch it off again later. It makes a big difference.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As your house is quite old, you may qualify for grants, from your local council, for all sorts of energy efficient improvements. Worth checking out as this will also improve the value of the property.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Kerryc82
    Options
    Massive thank you to all of you who have posted comments and advice on this thread - I have taken on board what you have said and I am going to make some changes before even considering remortgaging just yet! I will have to sit my OH down and talk him out of it as he seems to like to get things done instead of cutting down and saving.
    I am really impressed with some of the ideas that people have come up with that when I next get paid I will be on the search for various items (heater, thicker curtains, keyhole covers, hot water bottles etc) so I will be ready for the winter!
    Unfortunately, I dont qualify for a warm front grant. I haven't provided a gas meter reading recently but if I do keep a note daily of how much we spend then I will hopefully keep on top of it. I am also going to turn the boiler off completely and leave it on only for baths and washing up (is it economical to boil a kettle to use for washing up?....probably).

Thanks again peeps
    Kerry (v. The Winter)
    xx
    Loan (orig. £6014.20), now [STRIKE] £5,813.74 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£5,063.58[/STRIKE], £5,438.66 debt free Oct 2009
    Won: Rizla Tin (£1), Wes Stace Book (£12.99), Nike DVD (£5?), Fairy Manicure Set (£5), Nestle Heaven (£1), Cadburys Melts (£1), Avon Eye Shadow (£5), Thorntons Chocolate Hamper (£50), Carole Matthews Book (£11.99), Spiderman 3 XBox Game (£40.00), Jessica Simpsons Bag (£130!), Samsung Camera Phone (n/y received £?), Avon LipGloss (£5), L'Oreal Casting Creme (£5.99), Tracy Make Your Own Stationery CD Rom (£8.99)

= Won £282.96/Aim £180 - Won by 09/06/07
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Kerry, a job which you should do when you can afford it is to fit thermostats to all of your radiators. This is not terrifically expensive, you can save up for it by buying a thermostat a week at your local B&Q or Wickes and then find a plumber (by word of mouth) who will fit them without screwing you over. Then turn down the rads in the halls (Vicky houses usually have long halls unless house has been remodelled), the stairs, and the spare room if you have one. Turn em right down or off. Turn the ones in your sitting room down as well and you will find you save a complete bundle.

Also go to https://www.uswitch and check out your gas and leccie prices against the competition - you may well find you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere. See the article on here about Utilities.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    msmicawber wrote:
    Another thing to look at when adjusting your time settings is whether you have your hot water coming on for the same amount of time as your heating.

Makes no difference with a combi boiler as you don't have a hot water tank.

It only heats when the water comes out of the tap.

But if you have hot water tank then granted it is something to look at as well as making sure you water tank has a very stylish jacket on;)

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills