We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MacKenzie Hall
michelle2801_2
Posts: 22 Forumite
Hi
I received an email from MacKenzie Hall regarding a debt that has been passed to them (QuickQuid - whom I agreed a payment plan with, they didnt set up the direct debit and to be honest, I never checked to see had it gone to them so without contacting me they have sold the debt to Mackenzie Hall).
I rang Mackenzie Hall just now and tried to explain the payment plan and basically they just told me it didnt matter and they wanted full payment immediately. I explained I didnt have the moeny to pay now and that I would pay £50 per month until it was cleared and they have point blank refused!!! Can they do this? The very ignorant guy on the phone said that they would be issuing legal proceedings. They also wanted me to give my details of my car as they said it would be an asset!! I told them it wasnt in my name!
I always thought that if you offered to make a payment plan to a company they had to accept it? Surely they are just going to do the legal thing, add further costs to my debts only to find out that the payments offered are my absolute maximum I can afford (I am just off maternity leave, have separated from my husband and have 900 of rent arrears-not good!).
Are they allowed to refuse a payment plan offer?
Im terrified now that they'll come to my house and try and take my belongings to get their money!
Thanks,
Mich
I received an email from MacKenzie Hall regarding a debt that has been passed to them (QuickQuid - whom I agreed a payment plan with, they didnt set up the direct debit and to be honest, I never checked to see had it gone to them so without contacting me they have sold the debt to Mackenzie Hall).
I rang Mackenzie Hall just now and tried to explain the payment plan and basically they just told me it didnt matter and they wanted full payment immediately. I explained I didnt have the moeny to pay now and that I would pay £50 per month until it was cleared and they have point blank refused!!! Can they do this? The very ignorant guy on the phone said that they would be issuing legal proceedings. They also wanted me to give my details of my car as they said it would be an asset!! I told them it wasnt in my name!
I always thought that if you offered to make a payment plan to a company they had to accept it? Surely they are just going to do the legal thing, add further costs to my debts only to find out that the payments offered are my absolute maximum I can afford (I am just off maternity leave, have separated from my husband and have 900 of rent arrears-not good!).
Are they allowed to refuse a payment plan offer?
Im terrified now that they'll come to my house and try and take my belongings to get their money!
Thanks,
Mich
0
Comments
-
Hi
How much do you owe?
A company doesn't have to accept your repayment proposal but in practice most will. If they did decide not to they would have to take you to court to try to obtain quicker payment which would cost them money.
Don't speak to them on the phone again, if you gave them your number and they call don't discuss the account.
You need to write to them to set out a monthly repayment offer and to ask for their standing order details (never give them your own bank details) then you need to ensure you do set up that standing order and ensure it goes out each month.
They cannot come to your house and take your assets unless they have a court order. You would know about this long before it happened as you would get court papers in the post.
Will post you a template to use in your letter to them (amend as required). Ideally you need to send this recorded delivery so you can prove they have received it.
http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/debt_advice.php#6 use the second letter from the drop down list as a starting template. Though I probably wouldn't send them an income & expenditure account at this point.
You could in theory need to be able to prove that the £50 (or whatever you offer) is all you can afford (just in case they did decide to take you to court -very unlikely) so do make sure you are offering as much as you can afford - although as you say you have rent arrears this should not be hard to prove.A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who giveor "It costs nowt to be nice"0 -
If they did take you to court and you can only afford £50 then thats what the court would say that you should pay and they would have to accept that.
Its only after you have been taken to court and failed to pay that they can instruct baliffs so don't panic about it yet.Credit card debt - NIL
Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 20360 -
Stick to your guns, they're telling you lies. Ignore them. Make the £50 payment per month to them, they must accept payment.
I have just dealt with these myself. They're b*****ds. All their staff are arrogant and horrible.
They have just accepted my payment plan, only two days ago. It took them four months.
Don't believe their bullying tactics!
Just another dumbass with money...
0 -
Just come across this thread - They sound an awful company, I know DCA are never pleasant but these sound like scum. Do as the other posts suggest, don't phone them, write, ask for their account numbers to set up a SO (this stops them fiddling your DD payments) explain that you wish to pay £50 pm and that is the maximum you're willing to pay - the end!
Baliffs and police turning up are scare tactics, they have to go through court first - and you would be made well aware of that! Keep calm, and some one should have a template you can follow. If they call you tell them that your not the person they're looking for and to send letters etc....Today's Debt:
B/Card = £6,410 F/D = £3,190
Loan = £0 Woohoo!
Total Debt = £9500
Debt as of 26-1-11:
Total Debt = £14,3250 -
Hi
How much do you owe?
I owe them 7750
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards