We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Im losing the plot - please help!!

I started my DMP on 1st April 2010. Everthing was going really well - i coulndt believe that i could manage without credit cards and over drafts,
I,ve had little telphone hassle - few letters - but then I got a letter from council tax saying I owed £700 council tax from 2007.
Nothing I could do to stop it going out of my wages via an attachment of earnings. I have just started paying 375 a month to Rossendales for last years council tax,

The mortgage is in ex's name but i pay it every month and live in the house. Today a letter came that stated that repossession proceeding where commencing becasue of arrears on a loan that is secured against the house. Ex said he would sort it out - but what happens if he dosent?
I get paid tomorrow -i wont be able to pay my DMP becasue of the money that will be deducted for the liability order.
I feel sick and so embarrassed. I also am worried because I will get behind with this years council tax now - sorry for whinging - but this is the first time that I felt really scared.
If I dont pay Rossendales they will come and take my things becasue I let them in the house and signed the walking possesions agreement.
Sorry again for moaning I know its my own mess but any advice would be appreciated. My daughter keeps asking if im ok because im a big grump! :(

Comments

  • NorthernLas
    NorthernLas Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    First, I think you should be talking to Payplan and telling them how much your income/expenditure has changed since April. You cannot pay what you don't have.

    As far as I understand, council tax debt and keeping a roof over your head is much higher priority than other debts.

    How long will you be paying Rossendale's is there a way that you can pay over a longer time? There are sample letters on National Debtline's website which may be useful when writing to them.

    Not sure what you can do about the secured debt, I would be contacting Ex to find out what has happened. You need some independant advice (maybe Payplan or National debtline) as to what to do next especially as the mortgage is in his name as well.
  • Thanks for your reply. I will look at the template letters. I have treid to reduce the payment to baliffs but they excluded my £400 payment to payplan and that where the figure came from.
    I,ve made 1 payment and the debt is spread over three months.

    I have got a bit of a grip now i,ve wrote the post on here, its very helpful. I have been avioding speaking to payplan and the council etc becasue it sounds such a mess.
    But feel better now thanks for replying ill go searching for letter templates now:)
  • NorthernLas
    NorthernLas Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am not sure whether you will be able to negotiate as you have signed a walking possession order, a question for Payplan, National Debtline I think. It is worth a try if nothing else ...
    If bailiffs come for anything else do not let them in.

    Is there anything that you can ebay / car boot which will help your budget?
    Could you have a look at the OS board to reduce your food costs in the short term? Even £10 a week would help over a month
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.