PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

DIY shoe repair

Options
13»

Comments

• HuttonFrank_2
    Options
    jimi2661's posting led me to look in EBay

Home & Garden >Clothing & Shoe Care>Shoe Repair

Then search for heels (in my case)
    I always order my search "lowest price + post and packing"
    I got ladies heels for £2.99 - cut to size.
  • josbd
    Options
    Came across this thread quite by accident, whilst looking for info on DIY shoe repairs.

I felt particularly old to read that the earlier poster's grandfather used to mend their shoes!

My father (like most fathers in the 60s) would repair the family's footwear. In his shed he had a "last" with different sized metal *feet*. We were encouraged (made!) to clean our shoes every two days, and I still do the same now. There is a certain amount of satisfaction to be found in producing a real shine to leather shoes.

Our village had a cobbler, as did most, and I still remember the smell of those dark little shops. In the early seventies, we used to save up to buy packs of blakeys and segs from the cobbler. These were metal sole protectors which we (as 13 year old skinheads!) would hammer into the soles of our tassel loafers to make us sound cool when we walked. (Well, we thought so!)

It is a sad thing that cobblers are an increasing rarity. I have had several bad experiences with Timpsons. The most recent of which was being told by a "manager" that they did not put quarter irons in boot heels as "the metal is too heavy"... Whilst I was attempting to regain my composure over this piece of rubbish, he carried on: "we only put them into City type brogues and the like".... Needless to say my composure refused to be regained!

Apologies for the ramblings of an old git!
  • kardaa
    Options
    Hi,

I've always bought the exact woolies ones from eBay and they have prolonged shoe life incredibly. you can get the full set of soltrack soles and heels and they are very easy to apply. The glue and a roughing grater comes with it. I'm sure there are other places to buy but have always been happy with the seller prestigeshoecare-uk. The item i am referring to can be found by searching the bay for 261154800703. Keep repaairing and saving money :j:j:j
  • nhow
    nhow Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Is it possible to attach new soles to existing crepe soles? Anyone ever tried this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure