We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice please....

I have received a letter from Rockwell Debt Collectors, collecting a debt for car finance. I think it was from about 8/9 years ago. This debt hasn't shown up in 2 previous credit checks. I have sent them a letter asking for copy of the credit agreement etc. Starting to wish I had denied all knowledge. Where do I stand and what to do!??? Please help :(
07=£76.98 08=£757.60 09=£465 10=£983.92 '11=£105.50 2012= £2229:T

Comments

  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Have they responded to your first letter.

    First letter should usually be the prove it letter - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11570893&postcount=2

    Then if they prove you owe the debt you would then need to think whether it could be statute barred.
    Was the car handed back /repossessed? Was is definitely a secured loan?
    If you haven't paid anything towards the debt for 6years or acknowledged in writing that you owe the money it could well be statute barred - in which case you would send the relevant letter. http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act (link is for england & wales only)

    If they can prove it and its not statute barred then come back for more advice.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • katster
    katster Posts: 332 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2010 at 4:33PM
    Thank you Tixy,

    I didn't send a prove it letter, got myself in a tizz! So the first one I've sent is the request of copy of credit agreement (which I sent Spec. Del. the day before yesterday!).

    I think they did take the car back a couple of months after buying it. I don't have any paperwork at all for this because my then boyfriend made things very hard for me eg. getting my stuff back. I thought that because they had taken it back that was the end of it. I can't really recall too many details as it was so long ago. This is the first I have heard anything about this debt for 8/9 years.

    I have moved quite a few times over the years, but have had credit checks for rental properties and this has never shown up before.

    Edit; Have just read the link you attached and that is a great help. I feel much better now! There is hope. Thank you Tixy
    07=£76.98 08=£757.60 09=£465 10=£983.92 '11=£105.50 2012= £2229:T
  • katster
    katster Posts: 332 Forumite
    :beer:I received a letter from Rockwell yesterday to say that they asked for the credit agreement etc and the company didn't have the paperwork so the case has been closed :j so thank you Tixy and thank you Moneysavingexpert for your very helpful advise xxx
    07=£76.98 08=£757.60 09=£465 10=£983.92 '11=£105.50 2012= £2229:T
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.