We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Unenforceable Debt legislation
Justindebt
Posts: 88 Forumite
I have been approached by a company who say that some of my debts may be "unenforceable".
For an upfront fee of £99 they will look into it for me.
As ever, I am dubious about things looking too good to be true.
But is there anything in the doctrine of "Unenforceable debt"?
And if so, what is the criteria for making it so.
For instance......I paid off my Monument card in full circa 2006 and they were subsequently taken over by Barclaycard who sent me another card and I now owe over £5000 on it.
I hadn't requested the card and by the time they sent it I was on Disability Benefit of arounf £70 a week so obviously they had done no background checking......just sent me the card which I used to transfer a debt which at that particular time had the wolves at the door.
Foolish, I know, but desperate people do desperate things.
Is this worth pursuing?
For an upfront fee of £99 they will look into it for me.
As ever, I am dubious about things looking too good to be true.
But is there anything in the doctrine of "Unenforceable debt"?
And if so, what is the criteria for making it so.
For instance......I paid off my Monument card in full circa 2006 and they were subsequently taken over by Barclaycard who sent me another card and I now owe over £5000 on it.
I hadn't requested the card and by the time they sent it I was on Disability Benefit of arounf £70 a week so obviously they had done no background checking......just sent me the card which I used to transfer a debt which at that particular time had the wolves at the door.
Foolish, I know, but desperate people do desperate things.
Is this worth pursuing?
0
Comments
-
Justindebt wrote: »I have been approached by a company who say that some of my debts may be "unenforceable".
For an upfront fee of £99 they will look into it for me.
As ever, I am dubious about things looking too good to be true.
But is there anything in the doctrine of "Unenforceable debt"?
And if so, what is the criteria for making it so.
For instance......I paid off my Monument card in full circa 2006 and they were subsequently taken over by Barclaycard who sent me another card and I now owe over £5000 on it.
I hadn't requested the card and by the time they sent it I was on Disability Benefit of arounf £70 a week so obviously they had done no background checking......just sent me the card which I used to transfer a debt which at that particular time had the wolves at the door.
Foolish, I know, but desperate people do desperate things.
Is this worth pursuing?
No, it is very unlikely you can get a credit agreement written off in real terms. You will lose the £99 if tyou pay them.Best Regards
zppp
0 -
Yes, I have no intention of paying the ninety nine quid.
I am just wondering what are the criteria for a debt being ruled "unenforceable".0 -
To check it yours it costs, £1 + P&P charges. - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2305463
Basically the agreement needs to contain certain terms, if it doesnt or the agreement cannot be found it cannot be enforced in court, but legally you do owe the money and they can chase you for it!Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards