Adverse credit - need a new bank account

Options
Please help my current situation by offering some advice, my boyfriend and I have severe debts, and although I manage to keep my organised, he is simply dreadful. He needs a new bank account, after his old one was closed because he didn’t contact them when they asked about his charges. I’ve applied for a first direct account and it was refused. Any help gratefully appreciated. I need to get everything back on track, but it has to start with him having his own bank account. My question really is ‘do you know any banks that will take people with bad debt on?’

Hope someone can help me out – stressing out here!
Saving £12k in 2015
January : £200

:A:A

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i would suggest he gets a 'BASIC' bank account.. they do not give overdrafts or in general cheque book but you can set up DD and standing orders and thay have some form of cash card.

depending upon your current banks, nationwide, coop or natwest step a/c seem to be recommended

see
    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/pdfs/bank_account.pdf

see
  • vodkabarbie
    Options
    I'd second Nationwide - my ex had a horrendous credit record due to a CCJ and him not having had a bank account or regular job for 7 years and he got one of their basic accounts OK.

He got a cash card, no cheque book or credit facilities, and his salary could be paid into it (I think he could also do direct debits out)

Good luck!
    Grocery Challenge: target 400: so far spent 247
    Credit Card [STRIKE]3231[/STRIKE] 3218
    Overdraft [STRIKE]1215[/STRIKE] 1122.27
  • pms
    pms Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a Step account with Natwest, you get a solo card, can set up DD and standing orders but no cheque book or overdraft. I can recommend it, not had any problems with it in the 11 months I've had it.

Hope this is helpful

Good luck
    DFW Nerd no. 177 :)

~ Car HP - £1447.41 still to pay - Final payment July 2008 :T

~ 26 monthly payments left of my Trust Deed :)

~ Clear Credit Report March 2012 :T

PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    I also recommend Nat West Step Account. You can apply online and they send it all through the post - no ID even asked for.
  • Goldielocks
    Options
    I was declared bankrupt on Wednesday. Straight after the court, I went into the Co-op and opened a Cashminder account, which is their basic account. I told them I am bankrupt.

The account was processed without a problem. I believe you get an Electron card with it also which can be used for online shopping etc.

You can't get much worse credit-rating wise than being bankrupt, so i'm sure he'd be able to open an account with them.

G
  • hanspans
    hanspans Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    thanks so much! you are all wonderful! i was soooo worried. I will do all your suggestions immediately! Goldielocks, don't worry - think i am headed that way myself!
    Saving £12k in 2015
    January : £200

:A:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business