We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Egg laid to rest

Tomorrow (pay day) i officially finish with Egg!

I was one of the unlucky (lucky) people whose cards got deactivated a few years ago when Egg underwent a whole responsible lending phase. I also had my Virgin Card deacivated around the same time.

I decided to focus my efforts on one card at a time and so paid off the Virgin card first (my last payment was July last year) (whilst paying the minimum payment on the egg) and then set about paying off the Egg card.

So as of tomorrow, i'll have wiped clean my 3rd party credit card slate. I still have an HSBC overdraft and creditcard but they're next on my list!

So whoop de do, i've gone from £12k+ debt to just £4k in the space of about 4 years. My plan now is to get a 0% balance transfer card, transfer the HSBC Credit card balance onto it (£2k) and then get cracking on munching into that debt. Becuase at £50 a month interest, switching that 2k figure onto a 0% card would be a huge help in paying off the total.

Comments

  • beasygirl
    beasygirl Posts: 172 Forumite
    Well done on clearing the Egg card off, I too was one of the 'lucky' people that had their card deactivated, as you can see from my signature I have just over £300 left to clear - am hoping to do this by Christmas this year.

    Good luck on getting the 0% card - wish I was lucky enough to do that.
    Currently takling Barclaycard - £67/£350
    Debt free date October 2014
    :jDoing it for my girlies!!:j
    38lbs lost in 2011
    SW for May 8lb/7lb
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Congratulations!! If only Egg had lent responsibly from the outset, I'm sure a lot of us would have had fewer sleepless nights..... they gave me a £14k loan and a credit card with a £2.5k limit when I was temping and already in debt.. no checking my salary or employment details etc... Still, I only owe them about £800 now, can't wait to gwt rid of it!
    Well done on your success!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • Davewils
    Davewils Posts: 134 Forumite
    I can remember the last thing i bought for myself. It was last summer and I bought a pair of new trainer becuase my old ones were starting to give me shin splints (becuase the cushoning of the sole was going).

    Since then i cant think of anything i've bought for myself. I've bought presents for people and spent money on bills etc or insurance, car servicing, but nothing on things that i WANT.

    I cant wait for the day when i can go into a shop and think "thats nice, i think i'll buy it"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.