We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Defaults and Debt I didn't know about - please help!!
LynXeR
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi everyone,
First time poster so please bear with me.
I've just checked my credit report for the first time ever. I thought it would be a little bit bad, one or two missed payments maybe, but I was horrified to find that I have 4 defaults! :eek:
One of these has been marked as satisfied, but the other 3 still have a balance outstanding. I'm pretty sure one of these was from when my details were used for a fraudulant purchase and I refuse to pay that. Do you know if I can dispute this one and get it removed? It was defaulted on 23/11/2005.
The other defaults, plus some of the other accounts that are on there, I'm not sure about as they all seem to be from when I was with my ex-wife and I just let her take care of all the financial side of it.
I'm not sure what to do! My current girlfriend has a default and was worried about getting anything in joint names as she didn't want to hurt my credit score, but now it seems that it would be the other way round! According to CreditExpert I have 4 defaults and £1300 of debt I didn't know about!
Any help you can give would be great.
First time poster so please bear with me.
I've just checked my credit report for the first time ever. I thought it would be a little bit bad, one or two missed payments maybe, but I was horrified to find that I have 4 defaults! :eek:
One of these has been marked as satisfied, but the other 3 still have a balance outstanding. I'm pretty sure one of these was from when my details were used for a fraudulant purchase and I refuse to pay that. Do you know if I can dispute this one and get it removed? It was defaulted on 23/11/2005.
The other defaults, plus some of the other accounts that are on there, I'm not sure about as they all seem to be from when I was with my ex-wife and I just let her take care of all the financial side of it.
I'm not sure what to do! My current girlfriend has a default and was worried about getting anything in joint names as she didn't want to hurt my credit score, but now it seems that it would be the other way round! According to CreditExpert I have 4 defaults and £1300 of debt I didn't know about!
0
Comments
-
Hi and welcome :-) no advice hopefully someone else can offer some advice :-)I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAK:pMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.680
-
*bump* Just so everyone is aware - this is my boyfriend

He showed me his credit report last night, and I wasn't sure what to tell him so suggested he posted on here... though as this post dropped to the 3rd page, I'm guessing most people were possibly in bed when it was posted
He has three unsatisfied defaults and has not been chased for payment of them, which is why I'm worried that getting CCA's etc might just stir up a hornets nest of trouble for us.
One is a store card that was opened fraudulently in his name. It was reported to the police at the time, but they did nothing about it. Also, there is nothing showing in the CIFAS part of his report - should something be here for every instance of fraud or just some cases?
One is for a mobile that he believes was an error by 3, as it should have been setup in his ex-wife's name. It is only for £59 so he says he will try to contact them to pay it off so that it is at least showing satisfied.
The last was originally for over £1k, but is down to just over £900, but he has no idea what this is for. It says it is mail order, but he doesn't recall ever spending that much on mail order. I suppose it could possibly be added interest and fees from before it defaulted, but as it stands we have no way of verifying this without contacting them about it.
I was looking at Never-In-Doubt's unenforcibility thread, though as I don't have his credit report in front of me I can't say for certain if any of them would fall under this. He says he has never had any letters declaring that these accounts are going into default, though as they are all against the address he shared with his ex, it might be that she has just never passed them on to him.
Please please can someone offer some advice?::: Total Paid Since LBM (27/05/10): £4639.85 Official Debt Gone!! :T ::::AThat money talks, I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"~ VSP2011: #104 ~
0 -
I'm not a lot of help, but I would be doing the same as you/him and getting the £59 paid off and sorting out the fraudulant one.
If they are all getting old (he mentioned one was from 2005) the only thing I'm wondering is if it would stir up the others if they were heading towards statute barred and would be dropping off soonish anyway?
I expect someone will be along who knows more than me though soon
Credit card debt - NIL
Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 20360 -
2005 ones I would let die, if you contact now you are going to be chassed.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards