We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Hmm, should I go for 'unenforceable' or not??
AnnieG
Posts: 877 Forumite
Hello
I'm looking for your opinions... I don't have a partner or anyone I can bat things backwards and forwards with, and I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma. So, please help!
Five years ago, I hit the wall, defaulted on all my debts and made payment arrangements. I sold my house and over the years have plodded on with agreed payments. I've got rid of most of my debt but have a balance of £8300 ish on a Mint credit card. I've recently lost my job and there is no way I can keep up the agreed payment schedule of £150 per month. As is it, in five years I've paid about 20% of the balance and even if I was to carry on paying the £150 per month it would take me 10 years to clear this debt.
So, at the moment it seems that I have a choice - either accept that I'll have this debt for the rest of my life and ask them to reduce payments to £1 a month or similar, until I find another job and can pay more, or look at unenforceability.
I'm in a bit of a muddle about it and would be really grateful if some of you kind people would share your views.
Thanks ever so
I'm looking for your opinions... I don't have a partner or anyone I can bat things backwards and forwards with, and I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma. So, please help!
Five years ago, I hit the wall, defaulted on all my debts and made payment arrangements. I sold my house and over the years have plodded on with agreed payments. I've got rid of most of my debt but have a balance of £8300 ish on a Mint credit card. I've recently lost my job and there is no way I can keep up the agreed payment schedule of £150 per month. As is it, in five years I've paid about 20% of the balance and even if I was to carry on paying the £150 per month it would take me 10 years to clear this debt.
So, at the moment it seems that I have a choice - either accept that I'll have this debt for the rest of my life and ask them to reduce payments to £1 a month or similar, until I find another job and can pay more, or look at unenforceability.
I'm in a bit of a muddle about it and would be really grateful if some of you kind people would share your views.
Thanks ever so
Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
0
Comments
-
Btw, I took out the card in 1997. It was originally an RBS Advanta card but morphed into a Mint one at some point.Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.0
-
I would guess it depends on wether you have already defaulted on this card or not and if you are happy to have the debt on your credit file - other than that what else have you got to lose by requesting it?0
-
I defaulted on it several years ago, probably in 2005. I'm not too bothered about having another default on my file - the only reason I'd ever want credit again would be to get a mortgage and as I haven't even got a job at the moment I can't see that happening for some time.Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.0
-
hi anne
if you cannot pay these debts then i would seriously think about unenforceabillity what have you got to lose.
i have done, requested a copy of my cca from argos, halifax,barclay card and up to now only halifax has come back with the original agreement why not pop over to never in doubts thread (he is the guru of unenforceabillity) and have a read of the first few pages and then maybe this will help you in your quest good luck with what ever you decide https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2532927 the thread is here for you to look atalways smile no matter how broken you are.0 -
Thanks Carol, I'll pop my post there and see what the advice from the guru is!Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards