We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Please help! :(

worriedmumtobe
worriedmumtobe Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 8 July 2010 at 1:49PM in Debt-free wannabe
I've been receiving letters from Westcot Credit Services recently demanding I pay them 820.47 in full or "further action" will be taken. I know not to contact these creeps, but it's annoying me because the company I *do* have the debt with have had an agreement with me for the last 4 months now and are getting payments twice a month from me.

So what can I do to stop Westcot sending me letters? I don't want to call them, but these letters are bugging me now. Shall I just ignore them and just continue with my payment agreement with the company I have the debt with?

My total debt with this company is around 6,000 pounds, but I dropped behind on payments to the tune of around 700 quid, which is what I'm trying to pay off ON TOP of my usual monthly payments to them, hence the payment to them every 2 weeks. It's been a nightmare, but it's my own fault for getting behind (I'm unemployed, not claiming benefits, am about to start a 2-day-a-week part time job until I have my baby in October) so I don't mind eating less to pay them off.. I just don't want Wescot hassling me on top of everything else going on!

Comments

  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Write to Wescott telling them that you have a payment plan in place for your debts, and until and unless you receive a notice of assignment from your creditor to them, plus proof of the original debt, you have no further need to communicate with them and letters or phonecalls will be considered harassment.

    That might give you a bit of breathing room.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!



    May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • I don't have access to a printer & received a "FINAL NOTICE" letter from Wescot today saying that if I don't make a payment within 14 days that a "door step collector" will be visiting my property.

    As I can't print of a letter, is it worth phoning them to tell them that I have an agreement with Santander (the place I got the loan from) and that they need to stop sending me letters? I know people say avoid phoning them, but what's the worse that can happen if I do?
  • Anyone? :(
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I don't have a printer so I do all my letters by hand, I just use the templates and write as tidily as I can - they seem to take as much notice of mine as they do printed ones.
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    I would send them the prove it letter - if you cannot print it or get to a library to print it then just hand write it.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11570893&postcount=2

    The prove it letter should ensure that they send the notice of assignment if it has been assigned to them.

    If you want to phone anyone I would phone santander and ask them to confirm that you are still to pay them.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Ginger_Red
    Ginger_Red Posts: 66 Forumite
    Would the Citizens Advice Bureau be any help ?
  • I would just handwrite them letters as everyone else has said asking for proof (also send a copy or write the same letter) to the people your original debt is with so they know that this company are hassling you. I would be tempted to add in somewhere that you are concerned about paying what little spare money you have to someone who does not have anything to do with the debt.....i.e. you want some evidence that you should be paying them, why, what its for and some sort of guarantee that this will pay off your debt and they wont just "do one" with your money, as up until now you haven't heard of them and your agreement was with santander & whoever.

    As for the doorstep collector, you do not have to answer the door (I think, guys correct me if i'm wrong) you could call them and explain you are currently pregnant and will not answer the door to strangers or have someone hassling you at home because of the risks to your health and that of your baby. Also calmly explain that you think this is unreasonable because as far as you were aware you were already paying off the debt with these 2 monthly payments and that there was nothing else to discuss).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.