We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New to MSE - Trying to get debt free....

Hello everyone

I am new here but I have been looking on this website regularly for a few years now.

I was a silly girl when i was younger and am now trying to clear my debt. I have just set up another bank account to transfer everything to so that I'm not paying charges each month, but before I go ahead and put my wages into my new account I just wanted to check something. I have an overdraft with my current bank (£1800), which I was planning on paying back at £100 a month (more if I can) but if my salary no longer gets paid into that account, will Natwest pass it on to a debt collection agency or something? I will be making payments into it obviously, but will they shut it down and pass it on?

Thanks for any help :) x
Paddle number 32:A

Let's learn from our mistakes!

Dealing with my debts and proud of it!

Comments

  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    It would depend on what kind of account it is, if you don't have anything in the agreement that you have to pay a minimum amount in every month then technically they shouldn't close the account down just because your wage no longer goes in.
    I say technically because I know there are occasions where they do throw their toys out of the pram so to speak and try to cancel the account. At the end of the day if you are regularly paying the overdraft off then even if they do send to a dca then I wouldn't have thought there's a great deal they can do since you didn't have a payment plan requested by them.
  • jazzajojo
    jazzajojo Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks podperson, no I dont have any sort of agreement to pay a certain amount in so from what you say it should be fine - Thanks for your response!:)
    Paddle number 32:A

    Let's learn from our mistakes!

    Dealing with my debts and proud of it!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.