Mortgage Loan as Company Director

Options
I have just sold my flat for £116750 and plan to purchase a house at £194500, I have £53500 equity from the sale to use as a deposit, the issues I am having is getting a mortgage for the £141000 I need for the house.

As a company Dirrctor I am classed as self employed and I have to provide the company accounts to disclose my salary, as this is mainly in dividends, my question is, do lenders take into account that you can make the repayments over the 3 x Salary rule?

3 x my salary is not £141000, but I can afford the repayments on this loan with no issue, I have no debts, no other loans and a good credit rating, but so far lenders are being slow to talk about this amount.

Do you think this is viable or should I go to a WOTM Broker?

Cheers

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a similar problem and the broker (who was tied to my bank so I'm not recommending) had a look up table giving the PAYE equivalent salary vs dividend payments taken. This gives your salary a boost as you pay less tax on dividends than PAYE. You can also take into account retained profits of the business if you own it ie profits you haven't taken out of the business.

So, in answer to your question, I would say go and see a WOM broker.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just for info, you could borrow more than 3 x salary even on dividends. Self certification is also an option.
    MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    As already stated there are many lenders that offer well over the 3x income you suggest.

The loan to value is also in your favour.

I would suggest having a word with a WOM adviser and let them do the leg work for you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure