£160 for food a month

I would like to stay within this budget each month, how do I do it?
I'm such a take-away junkie, and I love my Starbucks coffee. Anyway, I've decided to ditch them and opt for a healthy diet of fruit and veg and fresh fish but their so expensive. Where do I start?

Comments

• moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a look in the old style board for lots of ideas of home made lunches and dinners.

Asda, Lidl and Iceland are some of the cheapest - unless of course you have markets near you.

It can be done :)
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • How many of you are there?
  • jay78
    jay78 Posts: 376 Forumite
    How many of you are there?

Just me.

Where/what are the old style boards?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    jay78 wrote:
    Just me.

Where/what are the old style boards?

£160 a month for one person :eek:

I wish I spend a £100 a month on two people.

Try here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=33

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • I'm cooking lots of soup lately to save money.

I can spend about £3 on a batch of soup and it feeds 5 of us. Sneaky way to get the kids to eat veg too!
    Debt free in 2010 :beer:
    £6551.35 paid so far.

This WILL be my debt free year! :T
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    Have you tried getting Starbucks Filter coffee to have at home? I think they still do the 'passports' where when you buy so many you can get a pack free. Extravagant, but miles cheaper than buying a Starbucks while you're out, and tastes just as good :)
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Shop at local market at the time when they are packing up rather than the supermarket, and then batch freeze - 'vegetarian' meals tend to be cheaper than meat based meals (look on OS for recipe index). As a bit of encouragement, why not have a moneybox designated for the money that you would have lined starbucks/takeaways pockets, that way you will see just how much you were spending - and use this to throw at any debt that you may have, or to save.
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    One person - easy done. Consider joining one of the 'use it up' or 'storecupboard challenges' on the old style board. The idea being you plan your meals based upon what you already have in the cupboard and then top up with fresh fruit/veg to save money on groceries and make some space in the cupboard to stock up on the essentials (big bags of pasta - currently £1 for 3kg in asda, rice, potatoes etc.)
    Also check you local supermarkets near to closing for reductions you can freeze and defrost as needed.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    £40 a week for food for 1 person you could live like a king! ok you`ve done the hard part and banned yourself from takeaways lets face it the costs of these do mount up! you dont need to give up eating what you like, what you do need to do is give up on paying someone else to make them for you! if you like pizza make your own! i looked at it like it was a new hobby i`d started, it was a novelty to me to go decide what we were having for tea that night then to go to the shops armed with a list of ingredients i`d need then with great satisfaction actually sitting down to my homemade efforts and feeling really proud of myself:D especially when my other half comments that "it was gorgeous is there any more?" use leftovers from your meal for part of the next days meal or freeze it if poss. keep any leftover/spare veg and whizz it with a blender and make soup. its amazing how many different tasty meals you can make with cheapo pasta.
    make sure you always have a few basics in your fridge so you can resist temptation and think no i can rustle up a quick ommelette when i get in which takes about 5 mins tops.
    why not have a savings jar and tip in the £5 you would of spent on a kebab on a fri night and take great delight in seeing your takeaway money mountain grow into something worthwhile and use it for something productive instead like paying my credit cards off quicker in my case! :rolleyes: :o
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport