We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
settlement figure
chrischat
Posts: 1 Newbie
I took out loan in March 2005 for £5,700, repayable over 7 years at a rate of £109 monthly, payments beginning June 2005.
Now 5 years later and regular payments all the way there is £2,642 still owing. I phoned about it she said the original loan was for about £8,700 including interest etc.
I asked for an early settlement figure, was told I would be given £68 reduction on total still owed, so still £2,574 to be paid in lumpsum and she advised me it would be better to pay this now if I can rather than continue at £109 monthly for next 2 years.
I have been on disability allowance for 3 and a half years- does anyone know whether there's any possibility of reducing the settlement figure?
Now 5 years later and regular payments all the way there is £2,642 still owing. I phoned about it she said the original loan was for about £8,700 including interest etc.
I asked for an early settlement figure, was told I would be given £68 reduction on total still owed, so still £2,574 to be paid in lumpsum and she advised me it would be better to pay this now if I can rather than continue at £109 monthly for next 2 years.
I have been on disability allowance for 3 and a half years- does anyone know whether there's any possibility of reducing the settlement figure?
0
Comments
-
I'm no expert, but I don't think so if you haven't defaulted on the payments thus far, as you have been handling the agreed loan arrangement just fine.
I think the only way you could reduce the settlement figure would be if you'd defaulted on the loan (not ideal, and would affect your credit record) and then offered a reduced full and final settlement. But I wouldn't advise this
Maybe someone else knows something that I don't though...Mortgage-Free WannabeMortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)Personal Library 2014:starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards