We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help!!!!!!!

Hi first time ive posted on this part of the board i keep over spending every month this month 330 in to my overdraft i basicly spent it on crap ill freely admit it
is there any tips you can give me to stop over spending recomend a band accout with visa or maestro card that dont have over draft facilty i find visa electron to restrictive i can all was pay my bill as they all come out with in a week of me getting payed

thanks kev

Comments

  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,622 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Hello. A spending diary is a good idea. Just write down how much you have spent in a day and what on. After the first week i realised how much i was wasting on rubbish like newspapers, magazines, snacks, lunch at work. Take sandwiches and that will save some cash too.

    Good luck on your MSE journey.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    As above poster has said - a spending diary is quite an eye opener. Instead of buying newspapers and mags, read them on line etc. Take away coffees etc cost a bit too.

    Re bank account - Barclays do a basic account with a Visa debit.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 47,406 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    kevinmcm19 wrote: »
    recomend a band accout with visa or maestro card that dont have over draft facilty i find visa electron to restrictive i can all was pay my bill as they all come out with in a week of me getting payed

    thanks kev

    You do not have to use your overdraft but if you cannot resist temptation the bank should remove/reduce it if you ask, then you will not have to sort out another account.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    You could try going to the cash machine once a week - getting out 30 pounds (or whatever your budget amount is) and once its gone - it's gone. Pay in cash only (apart from your bills).
    As the person above said - get the bank to gradually remove your overdraft if you want - phone them and ask for it to be reduced to x amount then set it lower the next month etc.
    I don't know how much you owe but say you have decided to save for a car/holiday etc when you are debt free - get a picture of the car/nice beach etc and put it in your wallet and remind yourself every bar of chocolate etc is stopping you getting your dream.
    These are all tips I have heard mentioned on here - I can't say I've personally tried any of them though.
    Good Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Have you tried the demotivator tool on the MSE site? It's great at reminding you how much silly little things add up.

    I also had a money box, the kind that you need a can opener to get into. For one month I set myself the task of saving money for a holiday. Everytime I wanted to buy a DVD or takeaway that I wanted but didn't need, I would put the money into the tin instead. At the end of the month I was amazed at what was in the tin (I'm not even a big spender) and when I looked back over what I would have bought I realised that it was easy to go without them.
  • andrea1968_2
    andrea1968_2 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Alliance and Leicester offer good account - as long as you pay in mimimum (I think) of £500 you can decline overdraft facility, you get free travel insurance and you also get a bonus for transferring to them - it varies between £50 - £100 - but check on their website. Comes with a visa debit card as well.

    If you can manage the no spend on crap for 1 month you'll be back in credit anyway, then do another month and another etc etc

    Its boring but its the best way.

    Good luck
    2013 - Finally got the house we' ve worked so hard to get......now it's a life of diy and no money....couldn't be happier 😊
    2020 - mortgage free target set 8 years and counting 🎯
    Even the longest walks start with one small step....get your boots on.
  • Georgie4
    Georgie4 Posts: 217 Forumite
    babymoo wrote: »
    Could you post again with punctuation and grammar? Sorry but I really can't understand a word of that.


    How on earth is that helpful ?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.