Should there be a stay out of debt forum

Options
I just read Tee Pee thread about having finally got out of debt :beer:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=254562

It made me think, should this site have a "Stay out of debt forum" where people who get out of debt forum could move to / graduate to and ppl who are not in debt can go for advice to keep out of debt.

It could be a place to maintain and keep good habits, motivation learned in the debt free forum.

It could have tips, strategies for keeping out of debt. To try keep us all from going down the slippery debt path.

Maybe ppl who have got out of debt could share their experiences to help others who maybe tempted to take a loan or two.

Just an idea ????

Best,

Comments

• Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    I get almightily confused with all the forums already!
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    For me personally, i now juggle looking into DFW and OS mainly to help me stay out of debt, having cleared our debt a few weeks ago...i never want to go back to that feeling of dread; we are still on a tight budget to help boost ourselves bank balance wise, but i think now, we are such in a habit of being frugal, it will be a continuous way of life!!
    We sort of 'emigrated' over to the Mortgage Free Wannabe board also!

Good Luck all xx
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Options
    I guess the mortgage free board is it, as it is a debt as well

However, popping in just to help others here is probably the best advice
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think all those who have paid off their debts should hang around here still to give advice to others!
    Also there are other boards for saving (which is what we're all going to do once the dreaded debt has gone- aren't we?!?) and paying off your mortgage like TFG said (if anyone hasn't already pop over to the mortgage free board and take a look at his thread).
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    I would find the biggest movitation to stay out of debt (if I ever get to that dizzy height!) would be all the enjoyment of doing things (but paying for them in the proper way of course) that I am currently denying myself to get to that position.

So for me, at least, I don't think I would need a stay out of debt forum.

Sorry.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd like a keep out of debt forum. I paid mine off long before I found this site and find myself giving out advice to DFW's on here quite a lot but sometimes find myself needing a nudge to keep out of debt. I've spent a fortune this summer holidays on the kids so I know I'm going to have to not spend anything for about 2 months now to make up for it.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • RVK2
    RVK2 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    I'd also like to see this kind of forum. Although I am not in debt I have had £900 worth of unexpected expenses in the last three months that have wiped out my savings leaving me with no safety net. I need to stay out of debt and at times I'm very close to reaching for the credit card!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps it could be as a promotion from this forum for the 'terminally debt free', but still allowing for cross-threading.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • madauri
    madauri Posts: 636 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the same situation here, never was in debt, but I struggle sometimes to keep afloat. I would love to find support and ideas not to go underwater. The good advice given to reduce your debt isn't always applicable here and I feel a little lost because my point of view is different - or I feel it is.
    'They can tak' oour lives but they cannae tak' oour troousers!'
    The Nac Mac Feegle
  • homersimpson_3
    Options
    problems with idea:
    a) some people don't have enough time to read or post on the forums which already exist
    b) people who are in debt would lose some expertise or advice from those who got out of debt
    c) alot of people are in and out of debt during several points in life e.g. pay off debts, then start stoozing, they finish that and then find they have an emergency and so needs to increase overdraft. are you saying they can only post in this new forum when they are debt free? if so how would you know let alone enforce it
    d) is this new forum open to all or an exclusive club- if so forum is becoming quite divisive (haves and haves not- in debt and not in debt etc). seems to undermine the whole purpose of mse - we stick together and screw them like they screw us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure