We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
First time posting....
Aiming_to_be_debt_free
Posts: 7 Forumite
Well, I have been using this site for a long time now and got some amazing tips which have all helped. Thought it is about time I posted something to say a thanks to everyone who has given tips which can be used by all. November 2008 my credit card was nearing its limit, the balance stood at £14808.24:eek:. Interest on this was £185 a month. I had been hiding my head in the sand, and living beyond my means. Don't get me wrong I wasn't being extravagant etc...I wasn't going on holidays or anything. It was just general everyday expenses after moving to my new home. Petrol costs and food were the main problems, also doing up the house and spending on ebay. After almost reaching the limit I decided enough was enough... its no way to live borrowing money all of the time. So since then, using tips from here: I changed the location of my work which has cut my mileage down by 26 miles per day and saved a fortune. Also I try to cycle as much as I can to the shops so I can't overbuy as there is only so much I can carry on the bike. Almost cut out alcohol completley...almost
!I rarely shop at supermarkets, I now go to a farm shop which sells food nearing its sell by date and I have cut food bills down drastically - at 20 kg bag of spuds for £4!!! Decent size and washed and kept in the sack can last a month!. Any overtime at work on offer I take it up. Transferred the credit card debt to a virgin card at 0% for 16 months. Sold things on ebay. Watch the electric and gas at home to cut down on those bills but turning everything off at the wall when not in use. Car insurance is still fully comp but I have cut off all of the extras on it to reduce that and now pay £120 per year ratehr than £250. I think anything I can do I have done. I am now 35 years old and am proud to be dealing with this head on. My mum had always brought me up to be careful with money and was never in debt so I don't know how I ended up like this. I lost her to cancer last year and I made a promise to her that I will never ever fall into the trap again of taking out credit. I think this made me realise that it is no way to live. Her funeral cost about £3000 so made me really consider things. I lost my dad when I was young and so really I am the next generation to go. I wouldn't want my family having to struggle with funeral costs so it is a must to have money put aside for the unexpected. As of today my net worth now is -£5231.74 so am nearly £10,000 better off. Am really aiming to pay it off by Christmas so its going to be a tough rest of the year....but fingers crossed I am getting there. Every tranaction I use has been recorded on Microsoft money. It is nice to see my net worth going up each month rather than going further and further into debt which it was and also I can see where I can cut down my spending. The graphs in the upward trend make me smile and know that I am keeping my promise to my mum. So thank you all for the tips on here...every tip helps someone so keep them coming!
Net worth 15/11/2008 -£14808.24:eek:
Net worth 20/06/2010 -£5231.74
Net worth 20/07/2010 -£4720.18:j
Net worth 20/06/2010 -£5231.74
Net worth 20/07/2010 -£4720.18:j
0
Comments
-
Well done and keep at it! When everything is paid off save for a holiday and bloody enjoy it
TOTAL AT START £13606.90 27/03/2018
TOTAL CURRENT £13445.90 29/03/20180 -
Just like to say well done!!! It is really impressive that u have managed to cut down your debt by nearly £10,000. It is such a nice feeling when you dont have any debt hanging over your head
Hostie
xxSaving for a deposit for a place of my own.....:jSavings so far £29,450/£40,000:j 73.6% SAVED!!!1poll £23.90/£40.00 (claimed 1x£40)No Monthly Car Payments left! Paid off on the 5/11/10!0 -
Great idea! 2010 is th eyear for me to get it under control! 2011 is looking brighter so a nice holiday is something to aim for!:jNet worth 15/11/2008 -£14808.24:eek:
Net worth 20/06/2010 -£5231.74
Net worth 20/07/2010 -£4720.18:j0 -
Very good work, and some great ideas to save money!0
-
Well done you it must be so good to see the debt going down. XXX0
-
Thanks, It really is nice to see it going down each month. I have had the odd wobble due to unexpected expenses but am putting a little aside each month to try and stablise that!!..each month a little bit more weight off my shoulders...the thought of not paying out anymore to credit card companies gees me on....and then the dream is to start paying off the mortgage quicker... am sure we will all get there in the end. No gain without pain as they say!Net worth 15/11/2008 -£14808.24:eek:
Net worth 20/06/2010 -£5231.74
Net worth 20/07/2010 -£4720.18:j0 -
Hi and welcome you have done a great job so far you should be very proud of what you have done so far all the best with the rest of the journey xxI AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAK:pMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.680
-
Thank you! So much support in here...which I joined the forum earlier!!!:beer:Net worth 15/11/2008 -£14808.24:eek:
Net worth 20/06/2010 -£5231.74
Net worth 20/07/2010 -£4720.18:j0 -
im watching practical magic :-) xxI AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAK:pMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.680
-
lol, nothing is impossible if we try, as my Aunt used to tell me "there is no such word as can't"...we can all rid ourselves of these burdens...mind you, easier said than done...easier to get into than out of debt! But We can if we try... am getting a right buzz by actually writing down my debt and getting it into the open.. feel tonnes better as it has got me down :jNet worth 15/11/2008 -£14808.24:eek:
Net worth 20/06/2010 -£5231.74
Net worth 20/07/2010 -£4720.18:j0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards