We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Refused Credit

I joined Credit Expert a couple months ago, and everything seems fine on my credit file, all my overdrafts and bank accounts are all ok and in the green with no late payments etc. I got my credit score of them too which said I was about 750, which was a fair score according to them.

Today I went to PC World to get a laptop etc, but I was declined twice by them (they had 2 different finance options) .

How can my credit report say everything is ok, but yet I am declined finance for a laptop? The lad in PC World said I should try Comet as they use a different system to them, but surely if my credit report is saying that nothing should be affecting my chance of getting credit I should of been ok?

I pay monthly for Experian reports on their website and a further £5.95 to get my score. I am coming to the conclusion that paying monthly for a credit report which says everything is ok, but then I get rejected is a waste of time?

Any help or advice on this matter please?

(First Post, Long Time Lurker)

Comments

  • downnotout
    downnotout Posts: 606 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2010 at 6:02PM
    Many things affect credit worthyness read the following link.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score
    TOTAL AT START £13606.90 27/03/2018
    TOTAL CURRENT £13445.90 29/03/2018
  • Gleeson
    Gleeson Posts: 8 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply, although unless I am not looking in the right place on that link it takes me to an old peoples home? I'm not that old as yet :)

    I know that different factors can affect credit, but my credit report reads pretty decent yet still refused every time?
  • downnotout
    downnotout Posts: 606 Forumite
    Opppssss haha sorry link updated (I was copy pasting a link to my mother haha!
    TOTAL AT START £13606.90 27/03/2018
    TOTAL CURRENT £13445.90 29/03/2018
  • Gleeson
    Gleeson Posts: 8 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the updated link :)

    Still confused as to why I am refused credit, however one thing I learnt from your link is to cancel the monthly payment I'm paying for Experian and definately no longer gonna pay that £5.95 to see my actual score when it doesn't actually mean anything. I'm more confused about credit scoring than ever lol
  • downnotout
    downnotout Posts: 606 Forumite
    Well if your experian file is good, doesn't mean that your equifax one is.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/credit-reference this link tells you who uses who ;)
    And if I have saved you £5.99 a month then all well and good :)
    TOTAL AT START £13606.90 27/03/2018
    TOTAL CURRENT £13445.90 29/03/2018
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Gleeson wrote: »
    ... I pay monthly for Experian reports on their website and a further £5.95 to get my score. I am coming to the conclusion that paying monthly for a credit report which says everything is ok, but then I get rejected is a waste of time?
    Not only a waste of time, but a waste of money. Nobody is obliged to take any notice of you 'credit score' - it is only Experian's idea - every lender has its own criteria and the Experian score counts for nothing with most lenders.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Thrifty_Pixie Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Another thing to consider is your credit to earnings ratio. If you earn, say, £20k p.a. and your available credit is at, say, £15k then you might be considered high risk as your annual earnings barely cover it. Also consider how much of your available credit is actually being used (i.e. £13k of a £15k limit). Whether your current debts are being serviced satisfactorily is just one factor in lenders' considerations.

    HTH
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    It also depends on whether your the type of person they're looking for - ie someone they can make money out of and maybe flog insurance, repairs etc to.
    They might even have made the criteria really strict because they don't want to take on any new customers right now - who knows.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.