Omega 3 oil and cooking

Options
Does anyone know if the beneficial effects of Omega 3 oil are neutralised by cooking?
Since I spotted the new Kingsmill bread, I was wondering if I could get away with adding a small amount of Zipvit oil to my home made bread. My kids take it reluctantly.
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I have searched and couldn't find anything.

Comments

• DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought so, else there would be no point in eating cooked fish for the benefit of Omega 3....
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    First don't get too carried away with the omega 3 content of Kingsmill bread.

As this bread is white we do not unfortunately use wholegrain flour. The Governments Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition has recommended that the intake of Omega 3 should be 0.45g per day (450mg per day). Three slices of Kingsmill Head Start with Omega 3 contains a 1/6th of the recommended daily intake. So if 3 slices contain 75mg it's not a big deal. Remember your teaspoon of Zipvit Omega Juice is packing mightier punch with 900mg EPA and 600mg of DHA a total of 1500mg of omega 3 60 slices worth of Kingsmill. The Netto's 18p tin of Sardines in Tomato sauce provide over 2000mg or 2g of omega 3 so while every little helps I think you'd do better to eat wholemeal bread and stick with the sardines/zipvit.

this report shows the stability of omega 3 when incorporated into your recipe. Having read this I'll certainly be using more ground linseed in my baking. I was under the impression that all it's omega 3 content was destroyed once heated but that clearly isn't the case.

Looks like Kingsmill read this bit One supplier outlined a formula that incorporates omega-3 fatty acids into bread at a cost of less than 2 cents per serving Although this cost may shock a baker, a premium price on this loaf could generate high margins.

My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    I think her point wasn't 'wow - Kingsmill put Omega 3 in bread', more hmmm - could I use bread as a vehicle to administer Zipvit to my kids without the usual drama...
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    I actually made a loaf today, using 2tbs whole linseeds. It worked fine, with no after effects. I 'd be interested if anyone else has used linseeds in bread.
    Next time I'll try ground linseed.
    DrFluffy is right about using Omega 3 in cooking. I'd never thought of it before seeing the adverts for Kingsmill though. I think there might be an aftertaste, but I'll try a small amount.
    Thanks for your replies.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Jazzy_B wrote:
    I actually made a loaf today, using 2tbs whole linseeds. It worked fine, with no after effects. I 'd be interested if anyone else has used linseeds in bread.
    Next time I'll try ground linseed.
    For the benefit of others the reason you need to grind linseed is because they have a hard shell that resists your digestive processes and therefore passes straight through you. Therefore to get the beneficial nutrients out of linseed they need to be ground. I use a coffee/spice grinder like this I grind enough for a week and keep it in a pot in the fridge once ground. I got mine somewhat cheaper from one of the cheapo stores but I can't remember if it was Lidl's Aldi's or Tchibo. They've all done them at one time or another.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    DrFluffy wrote:
    I think her point wasn't 'wow - Kingsmill put Omega 3 in bread', more hmmm - could I use bread as a vehicle to administer Zipvit to my kids without the usual drama...
    Yep I guessed that. But other readers may not be so savvy and may not realise how little omega 3 is actually in the Kingsmill bread.

The BLUE writing is a link and this, if you click on it will provide the answer jazzy wants. Not much point in me providing a garbled version of the article if you can read it for yourself just as easily.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have answered a question I had about cooking. I use Flora margarine for spreading and baking (also roast potatoes with it) which per 100g gives 26g omega 6 and 3.5g omega 3. I like the fact that the children get a regular daily intake however small.
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    Personally, I take EyeQ capsules. No idea (or should that be no eye-dea ;) ) if they work, but I'm scared of being struck stupid if I stop ;) Seriously, I do they they help concentration... They have no aftertaste either...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport