I am being harassed by Direct Auto Finance

Rob1
Rob1 Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi there,

2 years ago I was having employment troubles and found myself needing a car while between jobs. I ended up buying a car from Yes car credit and have regretted it ever since.

The problem that I have is that now that I am halfway trough the loan I wish to hand the vehicle back as per the terms of the loan. However Direct Auto Finance are being incredibly obstructive and difficult.

We have paid them the full amount of half of the loan and sent them a letter asking them to arrange to come and collect the vehicle, however they are continuing to send me letters stating that I have missed a payment and to contact them to bring the account up to date.

It is now at the point that they are phoning me 4 times a day (I refuse to speak to them over the phone and have requested in wwrinting that they only communicate with me this way) and hang up as soon as my wife answers the phone. We have taken to keeping a diary of how often they call and are thinking of reporting them to trading standards. I want to send them one more letter in order to try and get the matter settled and would welcome any advice about how I shouls word it. ALso any advice from other forumites that have had dealings with this terrible company but had a positive outcome would be gratefully received.

I am only trying to settle the loan and have not broken any contract with them but cannot understand why they are being so bloody obstructive over this loan.

Comments

• Llyllyll
    Llyllyll Posts: 870 Forumite
    I would go through all your paperwork and make 100% sure that everything is paid up to date so that you have proof of this the next time contact is made.

Have you spoken to their HO or only CS? If not the HO number is 01403 246300. If you don't get anywhere with them you could try contacting the parent company (Provident Financial PLC) directly (details below).

Provident Financial
    Colonnade
    Sunbridge Road
    Bradford
    West Yorkshire
    BD1 2LQ
    Telephone: +44 (0) 1274 731111

Hope this helps.
  • aj2703
    aj2703 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Probably because it is worth more to them if you keep the car and pay them off. If it's 4 times a day i would report them to trading standards (i think) straight away. There is an offering BT have that also block annoying calls, don't ask me for a link though as i have not got one, but a quick call to BT should enlighten you.
  • Rob1
    Rob1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thank-you Guys that is helpful. I can prove that the loan is paid up until the halfway point and will write to the head office asking for an explanation. I am going to report them to Trading Standards if the level of calls does nto abate. I dimly recall seeing a website called something like say no to yes but cannot for the life of me remember exactly, anyone have a link?
  • Trading standards will not do anything. Only if they receive a very large number of complaints about the same outfit operating in their area will they act. Don't waste a stamp or phone call on them.
  • Rob1 wrote:
    Thank-you Guys that is helpful. I can prove that the loan is paid up until the halfway point and will write to the head office asking for an explanation. I am going to report them to Trading Standards if the level of calls does nto abate. I dimly recall seeing a website called something like say no to yes but cannot for the life of me remember exactly, anyone have a link?

Say No To Yes

If you contact Provident Financial, the parent company, ask for customer services.

You are wanting to "Voluntary Terminate" your HP agreement.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family