Save energy by cutting your water use

Not many people are aware that around a third of the average household gas bill is spent on heating water and if an electric immersion heater is used then bills can be even higher.

To help, we (Energy Saving Trust) have launched an interactive water-use calculator that will help you quickly and easily identify how you can save water, energy and therefore money!

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/watercalculator/flashcalculator

Please respond to this thread if you have any feedback or thoughts on the tool - or if you have any other questions relating to water and energy use.
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Comments

• CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Only way I can cut my water usage down any more is watering garden and car

I got a saving water shower head, 2 water butts, very small bath, usually wash car with bucket and used water from water butt when its got some water in. Toilet uses very little water hardly flushes (which is rubbish). Watre companys ays we used below average water for amount of people who have.

I love to save energy more though but have solid walls
  • CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You use 132620 litres of water per year

water 132620
    energy 2160
    carbon 589
  • Hi,
    I am guessing you might have already done this, but have you considered loft insulation?

You can find out more here...

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Home-improvements-and-products/Home-insulation-glazing/Loft-insulation

and you can find out what grants are available here...

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Easy-ways-to-stop-wasting-energy/Energy-saving-grants-and-offers/Grants-and-Discounts-Database
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Energy Saving Trust. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • chalkysoil
    chalkysoil Posts: 1,662 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2010 at 9:24PM
    You use 133514 litres of water per year

we have an oil boiler and the tank is about 50 foot away from it, so when I do the washing up I heat the water in the kitchen kettle, I don't like thinking of that hot water going on a 100 foot journey to the washing up bowl.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please respond to this thread if you have any feedback or thoughts on the tool

I have just used it. I answered the questions truthfully and it said my water costs me £176 per year. However, I paid my yearly water bill on the 5th of this month, and it was £103.99.

Obviously the system is designed to inflate the amount of water you use, and the cost, to scare you.

I haven't done the math, but I reckon it over estimated my use by around 70%.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    105948 litres of water

1295Kwh energy

358kg carbon.

Are we green? Shhhh dont tell anyone they might want to tax us more.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hrm the site is saying that our water should cost £227/year :eek:. However we just got our first bill that accounted for 2 months and it wasn't even £13.50. If you times £13.50 by 6 it equates to £81. Even if our bill came to £15/month that would only be £180 which would be nearly 80% less than the £227 it stated.

We save water wherever we can. I do think we use a lot less water than most couples in a 1 bed flat to be honest.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport