Debt Collectors want money

Options
Hi all

I wonder if someone give some advice. The story is a bit complex so here goes.

I left a job in Wales a year ago and moved to London to start a new job. I owned a house in Wales and I returned there as the tenants that had been renting it since we left had moved out.

Whist there I discovered a pile of letters which the tenants had never forwarded to us or told us about.

Two of the letters were from a debt collection agency stating that my last employer in Wales had overpaid me by £100 and wanted the money back.

Clearly I was not aware of this as I never received the letters. The last letter was dated Dec 2009 and it stated that they would be sending a debt collector to the house and if this was not successful court proceedings would begin.

I have no objection to returning the money if I was overpaid. I would have paid it if I had known of their mistake at the time. However I will not pay anymore than what I was overpaid.

I have not spoken to them yet as it is bank holiday monday but I intend to try and sort this out this week. Does anyone have any advice before I approach the debt collectors.

Many Thanks

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Moot wrote: »
    ... Does anyone have any advice before I approach the debt collectors.
    Ignore them. Go back to your former employer and deal with them. Ask for a breakdown of the amount they are claiming and if you agree, then pay it.

The employer may just refer you to the debt collector, but you should make at least a request to the employer in writing for a breakdown, before writing to the debt collector
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure