ESA work related support group

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a long story will cut it short. I have been off sick from my job for just about a year. My employer stopped paying me in February so I claimed ESA. I am still technically employed by them. After having an ATOS medical they have put me in the Work related support group. As I understand I know have to attend Job centre plus so they can help me find a job. As I am still in employment will this mean I am breaching my contract with my employer. I have no intention of looking for another job as I do intend going back after I have had an operation to fix my hip.

I know this might not be in the right section but as it is to do with employment I thought this was the best place for my question.

Thanks in advance for any relies.

confused.

Lynda x

Comments

• lyndac40
    lyndac40 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi everyone,

Sorry just wanted to addsomething in. ESA have told me that I no longer need to hand in sick lines (I know they are no longer called this cant remember what they are called now) anyway my employer told me at a meeting last week they still want to hand them into them is this right.

Thanks

Lynda x
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Do you mean the Work Related Activity group? If so, the JCP will help you with ways to return to your current role, they will not expect you to take a new job. Therefore you will not be in breach of contract.

Yes, your employer can still ask you to provide them with medical certificates.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »

Strictly speaking your doctor could charge for these if he is feeling pedantic. A standard "sick note" is for social security purposes only (it says so on it). So if one is not needed for SSP / ESA he could say he will only provide a private one if the employer pays! The DWP will have written to your doctor saying that further sick notes are not required.
  • lyndac40
    lyndac40 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Do you mean the Work Related Activity group? If so, the JCP will help you with ways to return to your current role, they will not expect you to take a new job. Therefore you will not be in breach of contract.

yes sorry it is the work relaeted activity group. There is no way I am able to return to my job at the moment as I am waiting to go into hospital for an op. I have not heard from JCP yet so will wait and see what they say about it when I get my first interwiew.

Uncertain,

Thanks for your reply. The doctor was very nice when I went to see
    him last week. He said to me they have just shot themselves in the foot he gave a unfit for work note UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. I could tell when I took it in they were not pleased.

Thanks again

Lynda x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family