I have just won an exotic holiday... BUT

the terms and conditions say that I have to pay the airline taxes etc.
I have checked with the airline and the taxes would be about £650.00 plus possible further taxes on the internal flights involved.
(This is a genuine competition)

I have seen this in other T&Cs so would like to know if anyone else has won a prize where they were liable for the airline taxes, and had to pay.

I have won holiday comps before and they don't normally have this T&C.

Any replies to this would be interesting

cheers

Eyeball Paul
thanks to all posters

I've changed my facebook username to NOBODY so when I enter FB comps I press the "Like" button it will say NOBODY likes this

Comments

• mysticwen
    mysticwen Posts: 2,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    hi

yes i think this is pretty standard i won a holiday to thailand and airport taxes etc are costing around 600 pound - not really a free holiday but the cost of the holiday was around 10k so i cannot grumble - but i would still like to

enyoy the holiday and well done
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I've won lots of holidays, one to St Lucia( Sandals) which was worth around £5000 , never cost me anything for taxes and the company even paid my travel insurance and airport parking...won another that was just over £5000 and the company paid for train to London and overnight stay at Heathrow hotel(5*) for 1 night before we flew and for 1 night on our return....won 3 others around the £3000 mark and never had to pay anything at all ..a win is a win and should not really incur costs imho....once won a weekend in a castle in Scotland and even got petrol money...
  • RoxyK
    RoxyK Posts: 2,245 Forumite
    Congrats on winning! I've seen quite a lot of holiday comps where T&Cs say you have to pay taxes and depending on how much I'd like to go depends on whether I enter ;)
    16 x Sanyo HIT 240w panels, 3.84kWp, south facing, 30 degree slope in the SW, 4.4 Eltek HE-t inverter installed 27/03/12 :D
  • Matryoshka
    Matryoshka Posts: 10,408 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Commonplace now but thankfully, I've not had to pay on both holidays I've won ;)
    SECRET TO WINNING PRIZES ;):
    If you see it in your mind, you're going to hold it in your hand.
    Thoughts become things!
    What you think about you bring about!
    No one is ready for a thing until he believes he can acquire it.
    Romans 12:15 Be happy with those who are happy :)
  • Taloolah
    Taloolah Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well done on your win. I think having to pay taxes is fairly standard now. £650 sounds like a lot of money though. I guess it depends on the overall value of the holiday. Well done and hope you enjoy your trip.
    Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Birmingham Childrens Hospital caring for my tiny and very poorly grandson who was born at 29 weeks. Thanks to them he is getting a little stronger every day.:A:A:A
  • brownie69
    brownie69 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    well done.... !!!!
  • eyeballpaul
    eyeballpaul Posts: 988 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Taloolah wrote: »
    Well done on your win. I think having to pay taxes is fairly standard now. £650 sounds like a lot of money though. I guess it depends on the overall value of the holiday. Well done and hope you enjoy your trip.

Overall value probably £3k which I will probably have to pay £650+ towards it. It's on the other side of the world and mainly room only. The prize is somewhere I want to go. Just the amount of tax surprised me.

I'll give more info when I make a decision on it
    thanks to all posters

I've changed my facebook username to NOBODY so when I enter FB comps I press the "Like" button it will say NOBODY likes this
  • Helga14
    Helga14 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    I've won four holidays and luckily not had to pay taxes but i have noticed it more and more in t+c's. Hope that you do have a lovely time if you choose to take it.
    Top wins in 2018: Trip to Iceland, helicopter ride over london, couples massage, £300 flight from Pringles, trip to Paris, cocktail making class and afternoon tea up the shard. .

Top wins in 2017:holiday to the Bahamas, trip to Paris, meal with champagne, a week in a manor house in France with £500 spending money.
  • hayleyw1
    hayleyw1 Posts: 20,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    well done :T
    R.I.P TO THE MOST AMAZING MAN PUT ON THIS EARTH! MY DAD XX 13/03/2010 love and miss you so much xxjan wins, uki goodies,necklace, case wkd, thomas goodies, sterilizer, 2 pairs boot, earings
  • NaughtyAngel2007
    NaughtyAngel2007 Posts: 3,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    great win , well done :) . i would be happy to pay the tax if i won a lovely holiday.....still trying
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure