Prom Suit any ideas?

Options
I feel very grumpy at the prospect of forking out for a suit for my son and shoes+shirt/tie. They are not clothes he is likely to wear much if at all again. Can't stand the whole prom thing actually but I don't want to spoil his night.

Any ideas? Hiring is expensive

Comments

• gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get shirts and ties reasonably cheap in Asda and Tesco. Get shoes he will wear again - not sure about suits but I have seen them cheap in Asda and Tesco.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2010 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Charity shop (renamed vintage supplier)?
    Also, how old is son? Shouldn't he be paying for his own outfit? (Not criticising, just no idea what age of child we are talking about here. Up to 16 the rule in our house was the one who pays has final say in the decision making for clothes. After 16 we bought all our own clothes anyway unless they were given as a Christmas or birthday present).
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    ciderwithrosie_2 Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    Options
    randomer wrote: »
    I feel very grumpy at the prospect of forking out for a suit for my son and shoes+shirt/tie. They are not clothes he is likely to wear much if at all again. Can't stand the whole prom thing actually but I don't want to spoil his night.

I just bought mine plain black suits - you can dress them up with a dress shirt and bow tie/waiscoat and cravat or just a pastel coloured shirt and matching tie which could be chosen to co-ordinate with what their prom date (if they have one) is wearing. The suits have come in handy since for interviews and other dress up parties. Think you can pick up a suit in Tesco for about £35. Can't see the point in going mad, their prom only lasted 4 hours. I know some mums of girls have spent several hundred just on the dress, never mind the limo, hair, make-up, tiara, shoes etc - ridiculous, so glad I've got all boys.

regards CWR
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • randomer
    randomer Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    Guess he's on the cusp....just turned 16. Bit sick of him wasting money actually so maybe I'll follow your plan.

We live (in a small terraced house!) in a very affluent area so peer pressure is a pain.

Thanks for replies:)
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have two boys (now in Uni/ working). We solved the prom clothes problem by buying a plain black suit & a white shirt & ringing the changes with bow ties/waistcoats etc Did DS1 for 2 out of 3 proms (hired a swish suit for the year 13 prom) & DS2 for 1 prom plus orchestra (he opted out of the year 12 prom & we hired a kilt for year 13). Not bad for £9 from a seconds outlet! (Dewhirsts)

You say you live in an affluent area, so the charity shops should be well stocked, I'd start looking asap.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    randomer wrote: »

Do you have an outlet near you? They sell suits cheaply.

In my DD's yeaar, the boys mainly wore trousers jazzed up with nice shirts and ties, so ne great expense :)

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll move it to the Fashion Board, where you'll get more help from their experts.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport