Help/Suggestions Needed

Having had a look around i think this is in the right section and sorry if it isnt.
I lost my job two months ago and have struggled to get another one since and currently work for an agency doing temporary work. Thats ok as long as there is work available which there isnt sometimes.
I over 2k in debt now along with my credit card maxed out as im struggling to keep up with all my bills etc and need some suggestions with regards to extra income as my situation is getting pretty bad.:(

Im already singed up with Lightspeed and One Poll and have also been selling stuff on E Bay. Getting a bar job is difficult as the agency work is mostly weeknds which is when a bar job would be looking for their staff to work.

If anyone has any suggestions to help me out i would be really grateful as im seriously struggling.

Comments

• Anyone? Thought i would have had some sort of help/suggestions.:(:(
  • Scaredy_Cat_3
    Scaredy_Cat_3 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Depends on what you want to do - there are a lot of ideas on this forum. What about party plan, Avon, Body Shop etc? Or Betterware, Kleeneze etc?

Are you claiming all the benefits you are entitled to?

Have you registered with other agencies? Do you have any skills which you could utilise for freelance work?
  • Depends on what you want to do - there are a lot of ideas on this forum. What about party plan, Avon, Body Shop etc? Or Betterware, Kleeneze etc?

Are you claiming all the benefits you are entitled to?

Have you registered with other agencies? Do you have any skills which you could utilise for freelance work?

I work for a temporary agency but thats not enough as the hours flucuate and not enough to get by with. Have registered with other agencies but the work with one is similar and normally at the same time (weekends) as the other.
    As im working i dont really think im entitled to any benefits am i? Im a bar manager so not really much skills to use as freelance im afarid.
    Im also a guy so Avon etc i know nothing about really to be honest!
  • Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surveys will be few and far between and only pay pocket money. Your Ebaying is a good idea - I would go through your home room by room and see what you can get rid of - it's surprising what people will buy! If you have DVDs and CDs that you no longer want sell them on Amazon - for me they seem to sell quicker there, and for more, than on Ebay.
    But most importantly (and I don't mean to be patronising here) look at your outgoings. It's here you will save the most money the quickest - there's a budgeting thingy on the home page somewhere - perhaps try that? Stop all unnecessary direct debits, look at your phone contract, mobile usage, gas/electricity and find cheaper deals.
    Check your council tax - are you paying the right amount? If you live alone or with a student there are discounts (25%, I think) - but if you don't earn enough (and I'm assuming have no savings,) you should qualify for council tax benefit anyway. Are you getting working tax credit? You have to be on a pretty low wage - but you can check your entitlement on entitledto.com
    Cancel anything like gym memberships, magazine subscriptions etc - that is, anything that slips silently out of your bank account each month!
    Look at your food bill - no more takeaways, expensive pizza deliveries, if you smoke - give up, no more expensive nights out, etc. etc. Sounds grim, but it will only be in the short term - when you do get another permanent job you don't want to be paying debts off for years to come.
    Good luck with it all - hope all that helps a bit!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure