Parents and their will...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
4 replies 658 views
lowislowis Forumite
2K Posts
not sure where to put this post...please move it if i am in the wrong place.

my parents have recently been to see a solicitor about reorganising their will, they basically want to safeguard against 1) having to sell their home if one of them ends up in full-time residential care and 2) paying inheritance tax to the (labour) government (not sure whether they would be happy for the Tories to get their money or not!). there won;t be too much inheritance tax to pay, they are only just over the threshhold i think, they are mostly concerne about point one i mention.

they have been advised by the solicitor to put a proportion of the house into some sort of Trust which can only be drawn upon if they, myself and my brother all sign an agreement sanctioning any withdrawal.

does this advice sound about right? sorry to be so sketchy but i am working on info passed on by my parents and i am not too sue they fully understand what the solicitor has told them - i have advised them to get the solicitor to re-explain.


  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If the property is owned as tenants in common and a trust is in place to put half the property on first death into trust, then the property cannot be sold or used to cover residential care costs. It has been tested in court by three authorities without success (for them).

    Investments can be avoided from being used as assets if they are within the investment bond tax wrapper.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lowislowis Forumite
    2K Posts
    hi dunston
    that sounds like what my mother was trying to convey to me.
    do you have any links to any further info about this practice?
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    In answer to your first point, if one of them goes into full-time residential care and the other one doesn't, then AFAIK the home can't be touched. This is happening to an old couple I know of at the moment. Mum is in a home and Dad is still living in their own house, and no one has suggested that he shouldn't.

    It's worth remembering that it's still only a minority of people who end up in full-time residential care so they may be worrying about something that may never happen! The threshold for inheritance tax is set to rise, if they're only just over the threshold at present it's possible they may be below it in the future.

    Why worry about which gubbmint is in power once you're dead and gone?

    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • lowislowis Forumite
    2K Posts
    thanks - i think my mum and dad just want to plan for the future and cover all eventualitues - plus they are recent grandparents so i guess this new development has made them reassess things.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides