Pension Advice

Options
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I, until last September, has spent two years working for my Local Authority and paying into their pension fund. I want to cash in this pension, they have advised that I would have to transfer it to do this. How would I go about transferring it to cash it in?

Many thanks

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How old are you?

You can't cash in a pension unless you have reached the retirement age specified by the pension provider. Even then, you can only cash the pension in if the pension and plus other pensions that you may have contributed to meet the trivial pensions criteria.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Thank you, I had no idea how everything works, I was lead to believe that I could cash it in when I finished working for the local authority.
  • pink_marshmallow
    Options
    i have a small personal pension worth about £2.000. i will be 60 in sept but not get my state pension until the following march. i have had a letter from my pension provider saying it will mature 1/12/2010 and giving lots of options about annuities which i don't want.
    my question is..... can i claim it all in cash instead?, if so how do i go about it?

kind regards
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have no other pensions from any other employment then you can claim the pension as a cash lump sum. You should contact the pension scheme provider and tell them you wish to cash in the pension under the trivial pension rules.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2010 at 7:26PM
    Options
    If the total of ALL pension funds is below 1% of the lifetime allowance, 1% is currently [STRIKE]£17500[/STRIKE]£18000, you can claim a trivial commutation of those funds. You need to speak to your pension provider.
  • pink_marshmallow
    Options
    thanks for the advice, just remembered i get £120 a month from my previous employment as i took early retirement at the age of 54. does this count as well?

kind regards

thanks for taking the trouble to reply
  • mad_bad_spender
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    If the total of ALL pension funds is below 1% of the lifetime allowance, 1% is currently £17500, you can claim a trivial commutation of those funds. You need to speak to your pension provider.

The lifetime allowance has increased and the 1% is now £18,000. and dont forget you need to be 60, not just the pension minimum age of 55
    "The darkness has no answers"
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2010 at 7:23PM
    Options
    thanks for the advice, just remembered i get £120 a month from my previous employment as i took early retirement at the age of 54. does this count as well?

kind regards

thanks for taking the trouble to reply
    Yes that will be taken into the calculations. Looks like you are over the limit. £1 gross pa pension in payment = £25 capital so 120 x 12 x 25 = £36000.
  • HUGO_DAR
    Options
    I have a similar situation , whereby I have a number of policies, pension, endowment, life insurance. I have asked a financial adviser to look at them for me as they claim they can get a higher surrender value than the issuing companies. The advisorhas yet to come back to me, not sure about his fees or i could have negotiated a better deal myself.Has anyone elso had a similar issue?...ty........Hugo
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HUGO_DAR wrote: »
    I have a similar situation , whereby I have a number of policies, pension, endowment, life insurance. I have asked a financial adviser to look at them for me as they claim they can get a higher surrender value than the issuing companies. The advisorhas yet to come back to me, not sure about his fees or i could have negotiated a better deal myself.Has anyone elso had a similar issue?...ty........Hugo

The only way to get a better value on surrender values is to sell the policy on the traded life policy market. However, that wouldnt apply to pensions. Typically, it only really applies to endowment policies in the UK in the mainstream market.

It is quite possible, even probable, that a modern personal pension plan can come in with lower charges than an older plan but that doesnt improve any initial value. Indeed, with some, it can mean taking a step back to take two forward where there is a penalty charge initially but lower ongoing charges which offset it over time.
    FINANCIAL advisors freinds or foe

Depends on the type of adviser. Generally, you should avoid using a financial adviser and aim to use an independent financial adviser. Personalities aside, the IFA should beat the FA 99% of the time on what they can offer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure