Carboot sale

Well i have decide to have a big clearout and am going to sell my wares at Blochairn bootsale this Sunday. Anyone got experience of Blochairn market - or any hints and tips for selling at a carboot sale - have been told i need to be there for it opening at 4am or i wont get a pitch - hope it worth it all....

Comments

• lozza1985
    lozza1985 Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    mm123 wrote: »
    Well i have decide to have a big clearout and am going to sell my wares at Blochairn bootsale this Sunday. Anyone got experience of Blochairn market - or any hints and tips for selling at a carboot sale - have been told i need to be there for it opening at 4am or i wont get a pitch - hope it worth it all....

Not been there, but I'd suggest:

Take plenty of change, and keep in on your person at all times (me & OH bought money belts, the kind market traders etc use for this) - you don't want to risk loosing your money to a thief!

Take plenty of carrier bags

If you're selling anything breakable, take some newspapers if you can, we did this to wrap bits up, and people really appreciated it, which meant some came back later in the day to have another look. Though harder to do if there is only yourself on the stall.

Take someone with you if at all possible - means you can pop the loo! - and to keep you company :)
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    mm123 wrote: »

You will get a pitch but not a good one!

Try to get one as near to the entrance to the covered area as possible. Everyone goes into the covered area but especially so if it rains.

It's been featured on a number of consumer programmes over the last year or so and as a result is hoaching with all kinds of inspectors and officialdom. You can tell the savvy people, they all make sure the reg plates of their cars have boxes stacked against them (if you catch my drift)
  • DaisyClaire
    DaisyClaire Posts: 641 Forumite
    Sounds like a 'famous' carboot place....however I will say, as an avid carbooter myself, look at what you have and ask yourself, for a bit of effort, can I get more for my stuff on ebay? A friend of mine got to a local carboot as it started and bagged a kids bumbo seat with tray for a fiver, she went on to sell it on ebay for £20.
  • Scaredy_Cat_3
    Scaredy_Cat_3 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    I do struggle to make my mind up between car boots and ebay. I've recently come to the conclusion that it's not worth selling stuff on ebay unless it will reach more than £1 as the fees (and paypal fees) and then all the hassle of packing and going to the post office just make it more effort that it's worth.

The good thing about car boots is that you can sell a lot of things for £1 with no significant fees (obviously you have to consider your entrance fee, but once they walk away it's done, you don't have to package the stuff and trail it down to the post office), but the downside is if you have anything of value there is generally only one buyer haggling at a time so the price tends to go down rather than up. On ebay if you do get more than one bidder you have a better chance. I would definitely recommend checking out completed listings on ebay and see what your stuff is worth before you do the car boot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure