New MSE Facebook and Twitter Links - are you worried about privacy?

edited 25 May 2010 at 8:26AM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
4 replies 1.1K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
Hi folks,

I wanted to start this because I've seen some comments about people worried about privacy specifically because of the new links in the first post to facebook and twitter (a different issue to not liking the display)

I simply don't understand what those worries are? It doesn't make any sense to me. However if they are real issues we will of course deal with them, but

Please read the following before responding...
  • This forum isn't private. Everything on this forum is public - it is one of the top ten UK social networking sites - read by 100,000s people and searchable in google. If you are posting anything private on here then please STOP - you shouldn't be.

If you're worried because you've read about facebook privacy issues in the paper, that's because it isn't a completely open forum - it allowed conversations amongst closed groups - and people are worried that info will be used or sold on.

MSE is the opposite, everything here is automatically public anyway so those privacy questions dont apply - and we would never sell any of your info and don't data mine.

• These links aren't new. We've had these links for a long time, they're just more prominent now. So any issue there is now was there before.
  • If someone shares the links, that goes on their page not yours. Someone sharing a link just means they are telling people about a page, they can do that now by posting a link. This makes it easier, and is important for MSE due to the increase weighting search engines give to social networking links.
  • Sharing on Facebook or Twitter doesn't make you identifiable. If you click a link - it doesn't show the identity of posters on here (unless your username does). Even if you're the one posting the link it doesn't show who you are in MSE. Though if that worries you don't press the share buttons.
I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Have I missed something?

And regulars if you see someone saying this - would you direct them to this thread - ta

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• edited 25 May 2010 at 8:23AM
    skintdragonskintdragon Forumite
    299 Posts
    edited 25 May 2010 at 8:23AM
    Thanks Martin. A very thorough response, and much needed reassurance for the majority I suspect.

I think people forget that this is very much an open, public forum. I guess they are worried they could be identified... but many MSE users (like myself) use pseudonyms to avoid being identified, so I cannot understand why it is causing a bit of a stir.

Have a good day peeps. :D
    :mad: Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
    :j One of Mike's Mob! yea!!!
    F
    inally settled full balance of RBS personal loan ahead of schedule on 10th August 2010 :money:

DEBT FREE AT LAST... BUT FOR HOW LONG?! :eek:
  • SoolerSooler Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any person can post links themselves to share sites, having links to encourage people to do so is only to drive traffic to MSE.

The trustworthiness of sites you send people to may need to be considered, by including links you are giving some approval to that site.

There are widespread concerns with Facebook and their use of peoples data, as criticised by the European Union data protection group.

Is the trustworthiness of share sites considered different to that of financial institutions?
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sooler wrote: »
    Any person can post links themselves to share sites, having links to encourage people to do so is only to drive traffic to MSE.

The trustworthiness of sites you send people to may need to be considered, by including links you are giving some approval to that site.

There are widespread concerns with Facebook and their use of peoples data, as criticised by the European Union data protection group.

Is the trustworthiness of share sites considered different to that of financial institutions?

Yes implicitly they are free sites that are massively popular and now considered the bedrock of social networking. Only people who already use those sites can share the links. Adding them in the top thread helps people do so and disseminate moneysaving info. Are you really saying MSE should ignore twitter and facebook...
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • SoolerSooler Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not ignore them ... explaining the way linking works is useful but should there also some displaimer perhaps, make people aware, that with any third party site, they use links to sharing sites at at their own discretion and need to make their own judgement on the linked sites they use.

Perhaps MSE T&C 5.2 ought to be included in the original post above.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/terms-conditions
    5.2 When you use other websites, any personal information you give them will be dealt with in line with their privacy polices, not ours, so please read the privacy policies of each and every such website before using them!

Perhaps the wording of Links section on the MSE T&C needs tweaking as it seems to only concern financial links.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides