Electric dental floss /water pick

Options
Anyone ever tried one of these high pressure water dental floss type machines? Just wander if they actually work and if your dentist reccomended it??

Comments

• welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would just stick to a rechargeable electric toothbrush and normal floss/teepee brushes to be honest
  • SparkyG
    SparkyG Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My dentist recommended I use a waterpik after discovering I wasn't flossing properly around my single tooth implant:o

I orginally bought this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0015CK4NA/ref=asc_df_B0015CK4NA657292?smid=A1GUIYJPCJYK0J&!!!!!ciaouk-ce-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B0015CK4NA

It wouldn't hold a charge after 9 months and was useless! If you read the reviews on Amazon, a lot of people have found the same thing.

I then bought this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Dentacare-EW1211-Rechargeable-Irrigator/dp/B0009OGHQ8

It was a lot dearer, but the reviews were much more positive. I've been using it daily for about 3 months now and love it.

My dentist says my gums are very healthy, especially around the implant. Sometimes I floss then use the waterpik, and still manage to get more debris out.

My dental routine now consists of using an Oral B electric toothbrush, Tepe brushes and the waterpik. Only occasionally floss now.

HTH
    SparkyG
    :beer: My glass is half full :beer:
  • welshdent
    Options
    Using it around an implant is a different kettle of fish - the metal used in an implant is very soft so they were probably trying to prevent inadvertent damage being caused. In regular use however I dont really see the need for it.
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    I brush my teeth and take care to do it properly and then use a waterpik and it still removes crude from the crevices. I like mine but Sparky G said I am waiting for the day the battery needs replacing. They do a mains operated one but no one has a mains socket in their bathroom in the UK so pointless really.......
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I'm going to ask my dentist when I see her next month but its always nice to have more opinions etc.

My issue with flossing is that it seems to remove sum stuff, but you can sometimes floss one bit for ages removing bits, just thought that a water jet combined with floss may work really well.
  • welshdent
    Options
    Ask a dental hygienist they know all the tricks. I am not a big fan of gimmicky instruments when the tried and tested work well. My mother is a hygienist and my dad a dentist ... they own one. Now the reservoir props up the toothbrushes!
  • loulou123
    loulou123 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Options
    I was recommend to buy one when i had fixed braces on my teeth (as i couldnt floss) but personally i never liked the sensation-felt too intense and rough.

I continued to use it whilst wearing my braces, but havent used it once since and have returned to ordinary flossing.
  • malamala
    malamala Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am going to buy one as well.

Just haven't decided whether to get a Panasonic EW-1211 (rechargeable, portable) or a Kitty Hydro Floss.

Any advice?
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    malamala wrote: »
    I am going to buy one as well.

Just haven't decided whether to get a Panasonic EW-1211 (rechargeable, portable) or a Kitty Hydro Floss.

Any advice?

what did you go for in the end?
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure