We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice needed - my plan to clear debt, am I doing right thing?

2»

Comments

  • Just transferred the money to my Egg card from the ISA this morning! - £1025 (I left £1 in to keep the account open just in case). That means £1033.79 to pay off (BT at 0% paid off first sadly, no choice in this).

    The 15.9% APR on the remainder comes into effect in 11 days. How do I work out what the interest would be on that per day? Of course, I'm hoping that the 0% card application with the Post Office will go through OK with a big enough credit limit to transfer. It probably won't happen in time for 1st September, so I might have to pay a few days interest on it.
  • I doubt that I'll get a 0% card sorted in time before the end of the month (Post Office helpline said their card would take about 2-3 weeks to setup). How about I transfer the remaining 1K odd from my Egg card to my Barclaycard (fee-free LOB at 6.9%)? I could then transfer that balance back to the Egg card - I have 3 months left of a 0% interest-free BT. The handling fee for the Egg BT is 2.5%, so my question is really which is cheaper:
    Transferring to the Egg card, or leaving it on the Barclaycard?

    I'm just a bit worried about the effect on my credit report of making an application for another credit card six months after applying for the Egg card. Doing the above gives me 3 extra months space between applications. Cancelling my BCard will help my rating presumably?

    On a related note, about 14 months ago I applied for a Halifax credit card (fantastic offer, 12 months at 0%), but although I was accepted for a card, the one I got had a terrible interest rate and no perks (it would have been my first ever credit card). I wrote back to them telling them I didn't want the card and didn't sign any of the forms they sent. However the search is still on my credit report. Can I get the search removed?

    Oh, and last question - I know generally that you pay off the biggest APR first, but if I had the LOB on my Barclaycard and my Egg Loan, both at 6.9% should I initially bias my overpayments towards the card balance first?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.