Council Tax - A refund you've probably not thought of

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
6 replies 1.3K views
littlejaffalittlejaffa Forumite
2.3K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
For me the council tax band is decided by the value of a house in 1991, I queried (by e-mail) the 1991 valuation - compared to 2000 valuation meant the value had barely moved in 7 years & I thought this was unlikley (meaning it actually cost less in 1991 than the banding sugested).

They checked it out, asked a few questions (by e-mail) about new bathrooms, kitchens etc and said I was to late to appeal, but I could appeal the fact I was to late to appeal!

Another e-mail to say yes please, and it was so easy, they've agreed to drop the banding, meaning a refund of overpayment for the last 6 years and a drop in my current bill.

Strangley for the council i didn't have to make a big ho-ha, I said all the way through if they could show me details of houses selling for their band price in 1993i'd go away happy, but i didn't think it was likely.

So easy i'd recommend anyone with a bit of interest to try it - i went via glasgow city council but it seems all councils in scotland have the same proceedure, you can apply whether you still live in the property or not, whether you are tennant or owner - good luck money savers!
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

Replies

• HoopylassHoopylass Forumite
    910 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe im slightly confused...but would your house not be worth more in 2000 than what it was in 1993 and therefore a higher council tax band? I dont really understand what you mean...
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • littlejaffalittlejaffa Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hoopylass wrote:
    Maybe im slightly confused...but would your house not be worth more in 2000 than what it was in 1993 and therefore a higher council tax band? I dont really understand what you mean...

Your council tax band is based purely on the cost of your house at a fixed date.
    Though they can change the amount each banding pays (put your bill up) , your banding itself doesn't change, band a being cheapest, b dearer etc.
  • HoopylassHoopylass Forumite
    910 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh right I see what you mean now. Ok Im with Glasgow City Council, have only been in my flat for a year, how do I go about this step by step, who do I contact and what do I say etc.
    Cheers
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • Eels100Eels100 Forumite
    984 Posts
    I queried my Council Tax when I moved here. I was living in a 3 bedroom detached bungalow built in the 70s, and when I moved to this 2 bedroom semi built in the 90s I was amazed to see I was actually paying MORE!

I phoned to query it and they just said that was the way it was, tough. Hmmm ...
  • littlejaffalittlejaffa Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    check out your councils website, and look for details of council tax banding.

for glasgow it's
    http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/YourHome/CouncilTax/Banding/
    if you think your house was worth less than the council say in their banding you can query, but you're probably over the time your supposed to query within, so need to appeal that to start with.
    It sounds realy complicated but all i did was e-mail the assesor saying I know the property cost x in 2000, so think it's unlikley to be valued at x in 1991, can they provide proof/revise the banding/or look into it. They asked a few questions about new kitchens/windows etc and that was it - it wasn't as complicated at it's sounding here honest!
  • serendipity2706serendipity2706 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Dundee allows payments by credit card if you do the 10 monthly thing. Ignore all the letters/forms/cajouling to set up a Direct Debit and pay by 9th of month on their site- You then get a month free on credit card to pay up too
    https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/payments
    Then look for Council tax, put in credit card number and that's it done.
    Obviously remember to do it each month or you'll get a reminder!
    Possibly other councils have same scheme
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals