We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Future Job Query & Debt

Hey All.

Apologies if this is not in the correct forum section but I wasn't a 100% sure where to post it.

Right, basically I am going back to University this September and I am in debt at the moment (see my other threads), my credit history is already shot to bits and I have several defaults against me. I am currently repaying my creditors on a DMP managed by myself. Moving along....

I am currently selecting my course for University, and I have a few queries regarding debt and job selection which I hope you can help me out with.

For example, if I wanted to join the Police as a Police Constable then I would have problems because of my financial situation. Some positions are financially vetted before you are offered a position, which is fair enough.

However, I dont want to study a course at Univeristy which leads onto a job in which I will fail the financial vetting and have wasted 3/4 years of Uni.

Now my two ideas for jobs based on the courses available are:

Soliciter - Law Degree
Psychologist - Psychology Degree

I just wondered if I wanted to pursure a career as a Soliciter and study law, would I be a suitable candidate or do Soliciters have to be financially sound and have a perfect credit history?

I hope someone can shed some light on this. I know that I can practice as a Psychologist without worrying about my credit history. Although, I do wonder, do you become Dr. Smith if your a psychologist? :)

Comments

  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I don't know about law and debt, but I do know most psychology graduates I know either had to retrain or work in prisons for their first job. (You might not mind that, most of my mates did..)

    I'd also research employability after graduation with the universities you are thinking of applying to.

    You could contact the law society for the answer to the original question.

    You could also think about a one year paralegal course for faster earnings/ less student debt?

    Good luck and let us know howyou go!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well if I do psychology I hope to become a chartered psychologist and work in the private sector, maybe eventually run my own place. Or perhaps I could work for the NHS, depending on what the pay arrangements are like :)

    My other choice is something in IT and Computing, but I really want a job where I can solve problems, help people and generally be challenged day in and day out perhaps with some variety lol ... I dont want much :)

    I've made my mind up to definately go for reasons I wont go into here as I will be here all day explaining.

    Thanks for the tip about the law society, however I already contacted them by email and havent heard anything back yet.

    So I'm hoping some peeps on here may know the answer to my question.

    Cheers
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ok, heres the situation as I see it.

    YOu are unsure which course to do. You are determined to go to uni, but you dont know what for. MY OWN OPINION is, could you put it off. I only say this as I wished I had as the debt Ive got into for a course that had no real output at the end, is frightening ( yes, Im still paying my loans off 10 years on. and that is without course fees :eek:)

    I agree with emmzi , a paralegal course, might be a better bet then you can see if you like the work.

    Psychology is extremely competitive and there are VERY few jobs at the end of it. I have freind that have done the Bsc ( No you only get to call yourself DR after a PHD :) ) and they have all had to retrain as there were no jobs available. Im not saying dont do it, if you are COMMITTED to being a psychologist, then go ahead, but I would suggest some sort of voluntary work .Ive read on here of someone who did the psych course, then hated the work at the end.

    If I were you Id try to get a part time job in a solicitors, or something, just so you can see what that work is like too.

    the undertones of your post suggest you want to go to uni to move away, I did the same. But in retrospect, I could have just moved out of home and followed my career path in a cheaper way. You might want to think more creatively about this, embarking on such a large debt when you dont know what you would use the money for ( ie you dont knowe what course to choose) seems crazy to me ( although I did it)

    If I was going to spend 30k on a car, but not sure what car, or why, I hope someone would talk me out of it. thats all im trying to do here, so please dont think im being harsh to you mate.

    All the best whatever you decide ;)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • all_hours
    all_hours Posts: 684 Forumite
    I agree with lynzpower about working for a while to find out what you want to do. 4 years of study is a big time + financial commitment.

    If you worked for a year or 2 and really got stuck in paying off your debts then did a 4 year course the defaults would have dropped off your credit record anyway - so it wouldn't affect your choice of career.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.