Ashbourne Membership Management

Options
Am a virgin on here so not sure if I'm in the right forum...My daughter and I joined a local gym last year but decided after a few months that we weren't using it enought and so decided to cancel the membership.We both wrote letters to the gym and took our membership cards in then cancelled the direct debits.After a few weeks we received letters stating that if direct debits were not set up again we would be referred to a debt collecting agency and our credit ratings affected.These letters became quite intimidating so we set up the direct debits again but still want to cancel.Nothing was ever mentioned about minimum length of membership when signing up and as I understand it BBC Watchdog and the OFT are attempting to take this to court.Has anybody else out there had dealings with this....please help:(

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does your contract say about a minimum membership period? Did you get that far?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Most of these contracts have a minimum membership period, some are a finance agreement where you in effect buy a years membership but pay off over 12 months. You really need to check your contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure