can i have a debit card when bankrupt

Options
is it possible t hold a debit card while bankrupt, effectivly its not credit so is this ok?

Comments

• earwig
    earwig Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    hi yes my oh is bankrupt and he has a coop visa elctron debit card hope this helps
    i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    With my bank it would be a definite no no, until he is discharged and even then it would be unlikely for at least 12 months after.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you have one - yes. Will you get one - possibly. Start by asking whoever you bank with now and see what they say. If they say no then switch to another basic account and try again. The co-op's one is pretty good for bankrupts.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • davek1
    davek1 Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    try the natwest their step account which allows bankrupts will provide a solo card as well ( similar to maestro) acceptable in most Uk and foriegn banks/stores

Alternatively you could consider a pre-paid mastercard with cashplus. https://www.mycashplus.co.uk
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like you need a basic bank account, visit https://www.fsa.gov.uk to see which bank account suits you, sir. Natwest may decline a step account if you are undischarged. Co-operative bank will give you a visa electron card, they too may decline if you're undischarged. If you are rejcetd for these then get a Woolwich card saver, it is not a current or basic account but a savings account, there is no check and you will get a visa electron card, that's the only savings account i know of that issues a debit card.
    AVOID PREPPAID CARDS LIKE THE PLAGUE, they charge a fortune, i-money from Northern rock are the cheapest, but you can only apply online.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • nillhouse
    Options
    davek1 wrote:
    Alternatively you could consider a pre-paid mastercard with cashplus. https://www.mycashplus.co.uk

I like the idea of these, but make sure you read the Ts&Cs, lots of charges and fees.
    £4.95 a month subscription for one.
    http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/uploads/Image/T&C_July_06.pdf

Tescos latest enemy.........
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DO NOT USE CASHPLUS - EVER 4.95 PER MONTH, 2.00 PER WITHDRAWAL, IT'S YOUR MONEY!!!!.

Go to a Woolwich branch open a card saver - this is a savings account, NOT a current account, but you get an electron debit card. If you have a prepay card and you forget to pay the fee they may come down on you like a ton of bricks and incur extra charges.

Typically if you load £500 a month on a prepay card you can pay between £30-£50 charges. i.e. 6-10% for spending your own money !!!
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • keith_lard
    Options
    try natwest you get a solo card!
    If you want to see a rainbow, you have to get used to the rain.
  • cliffsgirl
    Options
    My Dad is bankrupt and he got a coop bankaccount which comes with an electron card.
  • livinginhope
    Options
    I have a family member who went bankrupt a few years ago and STILL can't get a bank account! let alone a debit card,he has just recently been allowed onto his wife's account on the condition she has no overdraft.
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business