Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

'Are you allowed to vox pop your family on BBC1?' blog discussion

New Post Advanced Search

'Are you allowed to vox pop your family on BBC1?' blog discussion

19 replies 3.1K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• :T I don't see why it can't be used - especially if it's informative & in good taste as well :)
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree in this case it should be allowed.
    But that relies greatly on me believing you when you say it wasn't pre-arranged.

I'm sure there are reporters out there with less scruples than you, Martin. What if their uncle was looking for modelling work and wanted the TV exposure? Or simply just wanted to be on TV for 30 seconds? That then gives rise to the benefit of pre-arranging such a meeting, which would be very hard to prove either way. Might just be easier to restrict it?
    [It also skewed the results (not that it was a formal survey) as he stopped to speak because he knew you.]

That said, I guess you can use family members at times. For example, didn't you once do a piece with your (now) wife on IPTW?
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree in this case it should be allowed.
    But that relies greatly on me believing you when you say it wasn't pre-arranged.

I'm sure there are reporters out there with less scruples than you, Martin. What if their uncle was looking for modelling work and wanted the TV exposure? Or simply just wanted to be on TV for 30 seconds? That then gives rise to the benefit of pre-arranging such a meeting, which would be very hard to prove either way. Might just be easier to restrict it?
    [It also skewed the results (not that it was a formal survey) as he stopped to speak because he knew you.]

That said, I guess you can use family members at times. For example, didn't you once do a piece with your (now) wife on IPTW?

Hi Jimmy

Doing a piece on IPTW with my wife is different as that was what the story was about - this is a vox pop (voice of the people) so the connotation is different.

However my favourite bit of your reply is
    looking for modelling work

Here is a picture of Uncle Tony

tony.jpg

I think you're right... it's a goer!

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure he could model clothes for the silver-haired generation! Though he looks more the type to be advertising over-50s insurance ;)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Nicki24Nicki24 Forumite
    165 posts
    In my opinion I think it should be used. Your uncles opinion is as valid as anyone elses......you were completely honest and upfront about it.
  • Mark_HewittMark_Hewitt Forumite
    2.1K posts
    As long as it is made clear on the TV broadcast who he is, then I don't see any problem.
  • Toe-JamToe-Jam Forumite
    1.6K posts
    I don't see the harm in it. Its not like you were trying to hide anything, and interviewing someone you already know is much easier than a total stranger. What are the chances of running into your Uncle at the exact same time your doing a spread for the BBC in a city the size of London ? :-)

P.S you might want to explain to people what a vox pop is, sounds like an 80's Eurovision Entry.
  • bribri_2bribri_2 Forumite
    263 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It will be a matter of perception and reputation.

We are used to a lot of "reality" TV being staged, confrontations repeated for the camera etc. Despite your upfront honesty about the circumstances, will people perceive it as legit and will it affect your reputation.

90% of me says it will be fine and a refreshing change and 10% says it may appear staged and counter productive.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    as long as its made clear hes your uncle i dont see what the difference is youre not selling anything hes not plugging anything so no probs with me
    What goes around-comes around
  • I'm sure he could model clothes for the silver-haired generation! Though he looks more the type to be advertising over-50s insurance ;)

Well at least I look trustworthy. Distinguished? :)