Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

MSE News: Hung parliament - how will it affect your finances?

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The UK is heading for its first hung parliament since 1974 following yesterday's General Election, but how will this affect your wallet? ..."

Replies

• caroltcarolt Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Better than having a Tory govt only...

Hope they form a Lib Dem coalition, as the LDs tax policy would help my wallet nicely. :)
  • JonnyBravoJonnyBravo Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Presume you voted Labour in the end carolt?
    There must have been plenty who thought about supporting ol' Cleggy til they picked up the pencil..... then suffered an imagination deficit and thought "good ol' Brown.... he wasn't so bad after all" or "those Tories saw me right years ago.... I should stick with what I know"
  • caroltcarolt Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    No I most certainly did not vote Labour! Never even considered it.

Why on earth would you make such an assumption?
  • Really2Really2 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    carolt wrote: »
    Better than having a Tory govt only...

Hope they form a Lib Dem coalition, as the LDs tax policy would help my wallet nicely. :)

I dont think many family's earning over £50K will be better of carol. I certainly am not pinning my hopes on being financially better of in the short term for any government.

There are bigger things to sort out than a few £ in my take home pay (which will be taken off me in other ways.) We need stability more than anything else.
  • caroltcarolt Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    I agree. But the thread title specifically asked how the hung parliament would affect your finances, rather than your country's finances.
  • Really2Really2 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    I agree. But the thread title specifically asked how the hung parliament would affect your finances, rather than your country's finances.

I thought you had a family income of over £50K, I think the only people better off under the tax reform are low-average wage workers?

Not having stability will affect your finances. Look at exchange rates and FTSE today.

Low £ = Expensive imports.

ftse falling = where is my pension.
  • caroltcarolt Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    No - the 10K personal tax allowance applies to everyone whether they earn 100K or 10K; obviously it's more pronounced to those whose gross income is 10K, but everyone will benefit - except those who currently pay no tax or who don't work.

I agree that economic stability affects us all long-term; personally, I don't see it as personally likely to affect me that much in the short term, though - esp as it may mean higher interest rates which = lower house prices.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think tax free bands should be linked to something like average wages or something meaningful. Say, 40% of national average wage.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading the linked article:
    Interest rates might go up - good, my savings generate me nothing these days
    Holidays - not relevant to me
    Pensions - not relevant
    Shares - not relevant
    Mortgages - not relevant
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Labour have already implemented personal tax rises into the future. So in many ways nothing has changed (yet) .
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides