Renting out your car.... Official MoneySavingExpert discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wouldn't trust my car with anyone who wants to rent it. You don't know how they will treat it. Plus all the hassle you'll have to sort out if they go tripping speed and red light cameras. Not worth it. Plus my car is 9 years old so not within their age limit.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    This looks like a good idea on paper but we all know how hire cars can be treated.

I've thought about it whilst I'm unable to drive though (broken ankle)
  • bucky_ohare
    Options
    I have just signed up to whip car but it sems like there are not that many people renting.

I think the big thing is that you are renting from a person. Not a company. People drive hire cars like maniacs because they can hand them back in and they have no follow up.

They can't empathise with a company. Think about areas where you feel cheating is ok. For example if you found your gas bill had undercharged you by a tenner then you would just stay quiet.

But if you were given too much change at a tiny farmers market with just one guy there you'd feel bad.

If I'm renting a car from hertz I know I can just hand it back. If I was borrowing a car from a friend of a friend I would take extra special care of it.

Think about E-Bay. You are paying a tonne of money to a total stranger and the only threat you have is that you will leave negative feedback.

Reputations on commual areas like this are priceless. Whipcar drivers with bad reviews can't hire again. Most renters form on-going regular agreements like once a week for the family shop or once a month to visit family.

There is very little renting interest on the site so I've decided to go out with some adverts for my car to areas that I think will have sensible drivers.

The taxi rank at the train station full of commuting suits, schools in the morning during the school run and at the BMW showroom near me.
  • bucky_ohare
    Options
    >>>I did start this somewhere else but in the interest of organisation am copying in here.

I saw this talk on TED

The Case For Collaborative Consumption
    By Rachel Botsman at TED Dec 17, 2010

(You can google this and it's the first video result)

Which prompted me to see if my car can make anything on UK P2P car hire pages.

I found Whip Car and have posted my car's profile.

Has anyone else had experience with anything like this? Or am I the guinea pig for everyone, in which case wish me luck!

Chris
  • suburbanwifey
    suburbanwifey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    The risk of drivers who rent your car breaking speed limits and you getting a ticket or struggling to prove it wasn't you driving, would make this a ridiculous prospect for anyone.

Just had a look at the site, lots of cars, none have feedback, which suggests to me there are no renters.

Nice idea! but they could trash your car, get speeding tickets and to read from an earlier poster that if they left the keys in and it was stolen, you are not covered on the companies insurance or your own!

Madness! No way would I do this....be careful peeps...a site that just will make money for its owners.
  • Paverjan
    Options
    Dear all - I'd love to hear from anyone who has been dealing with Whipcar and hear about their latest experiences. Has it been OK to rent out your car? Has anyone had an accident in their car that needed to then have a claim? Have there been regular bookings or very infrequent? etc....

I'm seriously considering this and I'm prepared to accept the possibility that someone may go heavy with the car but I think it is a risk I'm prepared to take.

Cheers
    PJ
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The only good thing about WhipCar is if you want to rent a car off someone.
  • khdgsa
    khdgsa Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems my car is too "posh" or something, they only allow cars up to insurance group 14, I guess their insurance would be too much otherwise. Shame, because they could obviously ask a premium for luxury cars. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    khdgsa wrote: »
    Seems my car is too "posh" or something, they only allow cars up to insurance group 14, I guess their insurance would be too much otherwise. Shame, because they could obviously ask a premium for luxury cars. :(

I thought they only allowed "posh" cars. They don't want mine because it is over 8 years old.

:rotfl:
  • wildsnap
    Options
    Well i rented over boxing day as there were no trains in london and worked a charm! Cheaper than rental companies and only down the road. Planning to use again when we go to brighton for the weekend as i only own a moped and bicycle as its just quicker for me to work.

The lady i hired off had hired hers out loads with no probs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure