Can you claim National Insurance back if you stop working?

Options
SimbaSimon
SimbaSimon Posts: 810 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 April 2010 at 8:21PM in Cutting tax
Situation is this... Mrs SimbaK2K works in a temporary role.from April 4th for 20 weeks, paying approximately £15 a week in National Insurance. After 20 weeks she leaves to go to college and won't be working for the rest of the tax year. Can she claim the National Insurance back? If I put the gross pay for the year into listentotaxman.com it comes back that she shouldn't pay any national insurance that year however for 20 weeks of the year her pay would be above the class 1 threshhold. Any ideas?

I'm aware she can claim back the normal tax easy enough as she would have overpaid that too but unsure on the National Insurance.

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SimbaK2K wrote: »
    Situation is this... Mrs SimbaK2K works in a temporary role.from April 4th for 20 weeks, paying approximately £15 a week in National Insurance. After 20 weeks she leaves to go to college and won't be working for the rest of the tax year. Can she claim the National Insurance back? If I put the gross pay for the year into listentotaxman.com it comes back that she shouldn't pay any national insurance that year however for 20 weeks of the year her pay would be above the class 1 threshhold. Any ideas?

I'm aware she can claim back the normal tax easy enough as she would have overpaid that too but unsure on the National Insurance.
    NI is paid when the salary/wage is paid: it is not on a cumulative basis. No refund is due.
  • SimbaSimon
    SimbaSimon Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NI is paid when the salary/wage is paid: it is not on a cumulative basis. No refund is due.

Thanks for the quick response. Thought that may be the case but on the plus side the tax is the bigger amount and will get that back so should be glad :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure