May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 6:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.2K views

Replies

• meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have to do a complete revamp of my budget soon...have been trying to keep GC to €150 per month, its not working, I often feed the DGSs and DDs 3&4 and the cats and dogs seem to cost lots so will see if I can squeeze €200 per month. Need to get dog and cat food to-day, some fruit and carrots and god knows what else when I go through the kitchen.

Feeling skint to-day...sorry for long post.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    purplevamp wrote: »
    Hi littlekel ~ we used to buy bottled water (6 x 2ltr) every week at least sometimes double that. We then stopped buying it and bought a filter jug. We've saved a fortune doing this, not to mention less plastic to recycle. We kept a couple of bottles to fill with filtered water and honestly we can't tell any difference and we live in an area with very hard water that sometimes tastes like TCP straight from the tap :eek::rotfl:. (although they say you have to change the filters after so many litres we keep them going until we can taste that they need changing iykwim?!) :A

Also ~ NSD for me :j
    We've got the Classic model of a 'named' brand, but the cartridges are getting expensive AND elusive :o I found some own label ones in MrT a while back that fitted perfectly but they must have changed the size as they don't now :mad: So folks--any ideas of the best prices on these would be most gratefully appreciated, as I don't really want to have to buy a new system when there's nowt wrong with the one I've got :(
    Herbaholic wrote: »
    ....Some of you have things like NSD 5/16 in your signatures, is this the number of days that you've achieved and a target number for the month or somethingh? How do you all keep track of your NSD's? I'd got back into the habit of going to the local supermarket almost daily whether we needed anything or not and I always came out of the shop with a bag full of stuff....

I see Keiss has given you the link to the NSD Challenge thread & it runs calendar-monthly, just like this one. I've been doing it for a while now for the very reasons you have mentioned--mainly going into a supermarket for milk & coming out £20 lighter :o I guess the general principles are the same for both Challenges as it is entirely up to you what you do or do not include but come & have a look! It's simple enough to join up at any time of the month & you'll be able to come on our next night out; we're "going" to Brighton this time & verging towards a fancy dress theme of Star Wars; it all gets a bit surreal as we discuss our outfits & modes of transport :rotfl:For instance, there's at least 11 nsd opportunities left till month's end so you could have a practise for,say, three? Goo-onnnnn...ya'no ya wanna :D

My very first AppF00d order was delivered this morning but there's a bit missing, so when I work out how much has to come off I shall change my siggie. I got a bit excited & opened a packet of the dried pineapple but--let's just say I shall not be rushing to buy more _pale_ Had expected it to be like the sticky stuff along the lines of sultanas & things, but this was the texture of meringue & not to my palette at all. Still--nothing ventured & all that...
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• HerbaholicHerbaholic Forumite
    304 posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    I see Keiss has given you the link to the NSD Challenge thread & it runs calendar-monthly, just like this one. I've been doing it for a while now for the very reasons you have mentioned--mainly going into a supermarket for milk & coming out £20 lighter :o I guess the general principles are the same for both Challenges as it is entirely up to you what you do or do not include but come & have a look! It's simple enough to join up at any time of the month & you'll be able to come on our next night out; we're "going" to Brighton this time & verging towards a fancy dress theme of Star Wars; it all gets a bit surreal as we discuss our outfits & modes of transport :rotfl:For instance, there's at least 11 nsd opportunities left till month's end so you could have a practise for,say, three? Goo-onnnnn...ya'no ya wanna :D

LOL thanks BigMumma and Keiss for explaining, I'll take a look at the NSD thread later, being a scifi freak I may just fit in, only if I'm allowed to go on the virtual night out as an Ewok, R2D2 or Yoda though!

I take back what I said this morning about doing well, still not spent anything, but my meal plan has gone to pot, I checked how the sausages I took out this morning for tea were defrosting. Only to find I'd taken out some wholemeal shortcurst pastry instead :mad: I was half asleep as had a bad nights sleep last night and they were a similar colour, well that's my excuse :rotfl:

I've since taken out the correct package of sausages just hope they'll be defrosted by tea time! DH is now getting a rhubarb pie instead of a crumble for pud tonight so I can use up the pastry and I'll make a quiche for lunch tomorrow as DH has the afternoon off work so will want feeding, not a huge disaster but boy did I feel stupid! Could have been worse I guess :D

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • NJW69NJW69 Forumite
    841 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Spent £1.69 in Farmfoods on Monday but they had run out of milk so had to get some at the garage so that was £1.50 for four pints instead of £1.50 for eight pints at Farmfoods.

It's really funny when you go in because there's loads of people just buying the Hovis loaves and milk.

Been to Asda this afternoon and bought loads of whoopsies must be the time to go.

Bought lots of lamb, two packs of chump chops, one pack of lamb rump steaks, and a pack of stewing lamb with about seven pieces in all for £4.80 (one of the packs should have been £4.00).

I've browned it off and then added chopped carrots and onions and I'll slow cook it all tomorrow.

Got a turkey breast fillet for 90p and a piece of fillet steak for £2.00, a mango cheese cake for £1.20, a singapore noodles steam meal for £1.25 and a prawn curry for £1.20.

All except the cheesecake just about gone into the freezer (tight squeeze).

Spent £38 so will add to my signature.

I think I've still got about £30 left which will do until month end as we've more than enough in the freezer, fridges and cupboards and will only need bread, milk and a bit of fruit and veg.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • NJW69NJW69 Forumite
    841 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Decided I'm going to start using up some of the stuff I have in the cupboards that I never use.

Tonight I'm serving the Chicken breasts in cream and asparagus that were part of the Tesco Finest meal deal for DH and DS and serving it with golden savoury rice which I had in and needed using and serve with sweetcorn (half a tin in the fridge).

I'm having lambs liver (others don't like it) sauteed with ham, sage, white wine, butter and red onion and I've used a tin of carrot and swede that I've mashed with some butter and black pepper.

Think we're in for a random few weeks!
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • purplevamppurplevamp Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    NJW69 wrote: »
    Decided I'm going to start using up some of the stuff I have in the cupboards that I never use.

Think we're in for a random few weeks!

I'm with you on this NJW69 :D. We've only got about £40ish for the rest of the month and I've just spent £3.17 in Ald! and my sister is getting me some squash and milkshake.

We definitely have enough food to last the month, just need milk, fruit and bread top-ups, but like you say it will be random meals ;):rotfl:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £115,548.67 Dec 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £215 (2019 ~ £370)
    Surveys ~ £182.25 (2019 ~ £284.69)
    PTC, etc ~ $79.00 ~ (2019 ~ $189.25)

“I Love You" "I Know"
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Well I learn something new everyday on here! I had no idea there was a NSD thread. :o I just saw others listing them when I joined and thought that was a good way of keeping the spends down. Oh well, it all helps. ;) As to how I calculate it, started just going with about half the month as a target and then increased slightly. Almost didn't make the target last month so stuck at a target of 18 days for May. (My month ends on the last working day and continues through to the same time in the next month. OH gets paid on the 18th of each but that mostly gets eaten up by DDs & SOs.) It counts as a NSD if neither I nor OH spend any money for household items but pocket money spends don't count as we're free to spend our £15 per week each when and how we see fit.

Oh, I have a spreadsheet too which helps with keeping track of NSDs, especially if busy and I don't get to check in here everyday. If I can, I come on and update my siggy before anything else and so I have a silent congratulations for not buying toiletries and for having an NSD if I've managed it.

My toiletries 'addiction' springs from an urge, now under control :D, to not pass up bogof and bargain shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and toothpaste offers. I'm sure many of us have at some time followed the logic of "I'll use it at some point so why not make the saving?!?!". This resulted in horrendous hording of stuff and whilst I haven't bought any of the offending articles since February (not counting GD toothpaste only bought as one item and only when the current is empty) I can't see me needing any for a good few months yet.

There is a thread on here which also operates monthly and can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2439509 for this month. I did a full 'stocktake' when I joined in February and was so embarrassed that I haven't been on there much after I listed all of it! The shame and putting it in my siggie has so far been enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

By the way, meanmarie that's not a long post! There are a few of us on here who can do essays so you have absolutely nothing to worry about!!! :rotfl:

OK, I'm off. Keep up the excellent saving, learning where the money goes and adapting your spends (and budget) to fit your life. If it don't fit then try a different size - provided you can afford it. ;)

All the very best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Lindy_-_LooLindy_-_Loo Forumite
    800 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Spent £2.00 on milk and bread today - first month doing the challenge and surprised at how much we spend and we buy alot of value and own brand!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • KITTY_2-2KITTY_2-2 Forumite
    263 posts
    A no spend day from the grocery budget but £4.99 on a nice lunch with my sister from my "pocket money".

Not doing too badly this month. I now have 8 days and £42.03 left. Will need fresh fruit and veg, bread and some yoghurts in the next few days but nothing else that I can see.

Good luck to all for the rest of the month. Let's try not to blow it now :p
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • piperskypipersky Forumite
    954 posts
    Haven't posted for a few days - but *yikes* I've lost track a little bit!!! Not worried though, because took out all grocery budget at beginning of month so what is left (just over £50) I will assume is correct! I only keep cash for the GC and use my debit card for everything else,... :)

ETA: today was a NSD - yippee! And Spigs, I also didn't know there was a seperate thread... oops!! :D
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...