New to this site and confused about tax rebates!

Options
Hi Everyone!
Sorry if I sound niaive but I am thinking that I may be due a tax rebate but have no idea where it should come from!
Basically I left my job in recruitment after 5 years with the same company on 31 December 2009. I declared myself self-emplyed as I am an Independent trader for hoenix cards (small earning so far) so I pay my grade 2 NI (not sure that is even relevent!) I started a part time job on 1st April which is only 8 - 12 hours per week.
I earned more in tax year 08/09 due to bonuses than I would have earned for the whole tax year 09/10.
I just have no idea how to go about getting what I am owed (if anything!)
Please help! :)
Sarah x

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming your self employment started before 6 April 2010, you should have received a Self Assessment Tax Return for 2009/10 on which you will show your employed earnings to 31/12/09 and also declare your self employed earnings up to 5 April 2010. HMRC will then calculate the overall position.
  • Pinkel
    Options
    I did receive the self assessment details (I registered on line) But the bloke at HMRC told me as I was newly self employed I should leave the tax return to the end of this year??!!!
  • BoGoF
    Options
    When did your self employment start ?

If you want any repayment you may be due now then you are as well doing the Tax Return now. My suggestion would be to make your year end 5 April and do your income and expenses from date you started to 5 April.

It really depends on the level of any self employed profit as to what any rebate (if any) will be due.
  • Pinkel
    Options
    I declared my self employment to have started end September 2009 (because I was told I had to as soon as I sent out brochures!) However I started doing it more full time in January this year. It has not yet been majorly profitable and I have not made anything to speak off. I thought any rebate would be sorted out automatically by the tax office through my previous emplyer - I am still awaiting my P60 from them!
  • BoGoF
    Options
    You won't or shouldn't get a P60 as you were not working for them at 5th April.

The tax office won't sort it our for you, you now need to submit your 2009-10 Tax Return.
  • Pinkel
    Options
    Ok Thanks! Tax Office need to advise people better as they told me I had no need to!
  • Chinkle
    Chinkle Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, tax office were correct. You don't need to get your tax return in to Jan 2011 (if completing online).

However, if you believe that you are owed a rebate rather than having to pay additional tax then it is in your best interest to get your return in earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure