I need to pay tax - but how?

Options
ceh209
ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I just received an annual statement from NS&I for a capital bond where I noticed the interest was received gross, I've spoken to them and it can't be changed to net. This never mattered before as I've never earned enough to pay tax before.

So I've been advised to get in contact with HMRC - but how? and what will this mean? Will I need to ask for self assessment, or just inform them of the circumstances and they will change my tax code?

Sorry if this seems stupid, but I don't want to do a tax return if I don't have to, as once you start you never stop, right?
Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Phone up HMRC and say you have some interest that is paid gross but which you should pay tax on. They will probably just adjust your tax code.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ceh209 wrote: »
    So I've been advised to get in contact with HMRC - but how? and what will this mean?

If this still is the case :-
    as I've never earned enough to pay tax before

...... then no need to bother. Otherwise it very much depends how you pay tax? If you're on PAYE (you mention a tax code) but under the threshold then they'll generally do it very informally via a single page return (P810). But if you want to keep it even more simple ...... I'd just write to them. They won't (from my experience with Probates involving NS&I gross products ) be rushing to your door. So I would leave it (if the NS&I interest is in this year) until the end of the year. Then write with your P60 figures + the NS&I interest + any other interest received ...... and the tax deducted from the final aspect.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure