SDLT Mitigation

Options
Has anyone heard of Sterling Tax Strategies Ltd? They profess to be able to reduce SDLT by half on property purchases over £250,000. Is this too good to be true?

Comments

• zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are always schemes out there.
    Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't - and you don't find out until HMRC succeed in cracking them.
    Accountants refer their wealthier clients to these schemes and, undoubtedly, some of them do work and, eventually, HMRC will close the loophole though maybe not retrospectivley.
    With these schemes you usually receive half the saving, the other half being the fee you pay.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Richy42
    Options
    Thanks for this. My fear is that the house purchase would be slowed down by HMRC involvement. Plus you're effectively paying 4.5% up front. Perhaps it is a case of if it is too good to be true then it probably is!
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I can se the only foolproof legal method of avoiding tax is the use of Asset Trusts.

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • heretolearn_2
    heretolearn_2 Posts: 3,565 Forumite
    Options
    We offer these. They do work. Of course there is a fee involved, but you should be advised of this in advance so you'll know whether it is worth doing or not.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Richy42 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of Sterling Tax Strategies Ltd? They profess to be able to reduce SDLT by half on property purchases over £250,000. Is this too good to be true?

Hello Richy
    If I were you I would do my homework on it, I operate SDLT Mitigation and have been doing so for just over a year, ive had one enquiry of hmrc and it was withdrawn after 2 letters, I charge 40% of the SDLT saving. Remember its avoidance not evasion therfore its perfectly legal. I inform HMRC upon all my SDLT mitigation schemes, There so busy at that office the 9 month window shuts on them before they get round to looking at it.

Lloyd
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the tax man could come after you for up to 7 years after?

If I were the OP I would find out how they do it and do the same yourself via your own structure.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I thought the tax man could come after you for up to 7 years after?

If I were the OP I would find out how they do it and do the same yourself via your own structure.

That sounds like a sure way to have "the tax man could come after you for up to 7 years after?" :eek: scenario.
    Why employ experts?

Regards,

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income