We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prom Parents

Not quite sure where to post this!

For all you prom parents out there, thought i'd share this with you:

These are doing some prom dresses at £99 from £250. I just got my daughters and really pleased at the saving. I think the offer ends on Friday.

http://www.minxeveningwear.co.uk/

:j

Comments

  • Kayteehee
    Kayteehee Posts: 499 Forumite
    No offence to you at all and thanks for the post but many parents on here would not be able to afford 99 pounds for a prom dress, especially if it was likely to be a one time use!

    It's worth checking out places like TKmaxx as they have a wide variety of dresses, as well as 2nd hand places, vintage shops, charity shops. eBay is also a good one though ensure they have a returns policy if

    I remember a few years ago I got my prom dress from ebay. It was absolutely stunning and cost 75 pounds... I still have it now.

    However, I sold a prom style dress on eBay myself a couple of years back, it was actually something I wore as a bridesmaid, it cost 85 pounds originally and had also be altered at a cost of about 20 to make it even prettier down teh back. It sold on eBay for less than ten quid, so it is worth hunting down the bargains!
    Professional Photographer with a love of bargain hunting.. Been a moneysavingexpert since 2006 :-D

    Roadkill Rebel -Started 6/2/16 - £0.05 Remember you're a womble #6 - £18.17 :j SPC Number 124 - Hoping to save £1500 :)
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,939 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    My daughter's been looking at Karen Millen! Her dad has offered to pay for the dress she's chosen - £180. Fortunately, I've just opened my emails to discover there was a 20% off voucher in Sunday Times yesterday, so that should save a bit.

    The dress was lovely, fitted a dream but it's a lot to pay for a 16 year old.
    http://www.karenmillen.com/One-shoulder-ruffle-dress//karen-millen/fcp-product/903000054042
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • nagger_2
    nagger_2 Posts: 124 Forumite
    @Kayteehee.

    No offense taken. As my daughter pointed out to me, that going to TK Max, or any other high street shop for that matter could end up with her wearing the same dress as someone else, social death at her age!
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 26 April 2010 at 8:45PM
    I think you're pretty safe with TK and others having the same dress TBH, they never have many of the same dress. Debenhams seems very popular though.

    My daughter is wearing the most fabulous vintage dress, she's very individual and the whole 'princess' style dress just isn't her at all. The dress cost £30 and it's stunning and I'm certain she'll look diferent to everyone else there.
  • barginunter
    barginunter Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    Nagger you've posted lots of times about the prom dress shop, it's fairly obvious it's connected to you. it's against the forum rules to promote your own business.
  • Kayteehee
    Kayteehee Posts: 499 Forumite
    nagger wrote: »
    @Kayteehee.

    No offense taken. As my daughter pointed out to me, that going to TK Max, or any other high street shop for that matter could end up with her wearing the same dress as someone else, social death at her age!

    Yeah I do understand that - but even pricy shops like Debenhams - three girls at my prom were wearing the same dress from there..... no-one really cared. I suppose it depends on the school crowd etc.
    Professional Photographer with a love of bargain hunting.. Been a moneysavingexpert since 2006 :-D

    Roadkill Rebel -Started 6/2/16 - £0.05 Remember you're a womble #6 - £18.17 :j SPC Number 124 - Hoping to save £1500 :)
  • pandora205 wrote: »
    My daughter's been looking at Karen Millen! Her dad has offered to pay for the dress she's chosen - £180. Fortunately, I've just opened my emails to discover there was a 20% off voucher in Sunday Times yesterday, so that should save a bit.

    The dress was lovely, fitted a dream but it's a lot to pay for a 16 year old.
    http://www.karenmillen.com/One-shoulder-ruffle-dress//karen-millen/fcp-product/903000054042

    I think the one shouldered dress is definitely IN this year! My daughter got heres from ASOS for £60 but it hasn't got those lovely ruffles that yours has!

    And OP, no offence meant but I can't imagine many 16-18 year old girls wanting to wear the dresses in your original post!
  • My daughter was looking at one in Debenhams for £100, we saw one almost identical on ebay for £20 and then got some sparkly dance shoes from a charity shop for £2.50......Im sure she won't wear either again so there was no way we would spen too much on the outfit when we also had to contribute to a Limo and the venue.... Nothing like that when I left school.
    ............Powered by Fairy Dust & Glitter.............
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.