Import VAT. I cant afford to pay it.

Options
Hi,

I imported some LED tape light for my house from China. A fair amount of it. The total was around £550. In my infinite wisdom I didnt factor in the import tax into the cost of the product.

My package arrived, I signed for it, and took it home. The following week I received a bill from DHL for £117 for not only a processing fee, but also VAT. The cost and quantity of the product was written on the side of the box, and they based their figures of this.

Now, im in a bit of a hole here. I saved up the pennies to get this box, and I dont have a spare £117 to shell out. Is there any circumstance whereby I wouldnt have to pay this additional money to DHL?
  • Is the fact that they billed me a week after I collected it contestable?
  • Since it is a gift to my girlfriend, is it still taxable?
  • Do students get any kind of reduced VAT on things like this?
  • It is techincally for the lighting for a company, could it be a company expensive?
Im pulling at straws here, is there anything I can do? Any help would be really apprerciated.

James

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see no possible way of getting out of this amount, goods from outside the EU attract various rates of duty and tax and a usually fixed handling fee.

Also I think I would be very careful in saying completely opposed things on an open internet forum like this, you say:

Since it is a gift to my girlfriend, is it still taxable?
    but also
    It is techincally for the lighting for a company, could it be a company expensive?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure