edited 14 May 2019 at 10:52AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 1.2M views

Replies

• whiteguineapigwhiteguineapig Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    this may help someone else
    this year i started to use the launderette to dry my washing as i was having condensation problems
    i do 2 loads of washing then take it to dry. it cost aprox £1.60 to dry 2 loads
    as soon as the weather improved i stopped,
    i have saved an old honey jar and put it upstairs and each week i have been putting 3 or 4 20p's in it
    this should spread the cost
  • Uniscots97Uniscots97 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    this may help someone else
    this year i started to use the launderette to dry my washing as i was having condensation problems
    i do 2 loads of washing then take it to dry. it cost aprox £1.60 to dry 2 loads
    as soon as the weather improved i stopped,
    i have saved an old honey jar and put it upstairs and each week i have been putting 3 or 4 20p's in it
    this should spread the cost

To help with the condensation problem, save butter or marg tubs and buy Value/Basics salt and half fill. Then put the lid on and pierce holes in it. This will attract moisture and help reduce your condensation problem. Especially if you only have a few light things to dry.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An open window is cheaper than salt
  • beautiful_ravensbeautiful_ravens Forumite
    767 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever put the immersion heater on. It goes on on sunday and wednesday afternoon when we all have baths. In between, everyone has a shower if needed, and its possible in our bathroom to use the shower to make a wash in the sink. When we've used the hob for cooking and finished & turned it off etc, we pop a pan of water on it, which just heats up enough water as the ring cools to do the washing up. We used to have the immersion on all the time and have saved so much on electric by doing this, just requires some slight planning!

I use the computer all day, but everytime I walk away from the computer I put it on 'sleep' and turn the modem and screen off.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • Jacey53Jacey53 Forumite
    292 posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭
    I've never done this Jacey, do they ever become soggy when defrosted?

Hi - I haven't noticed that they are soggy so far. I just use basic bread, swipe of butter and cheap ham (or the better stuff if it's on offer).

I want to try with cheese and onion (mixed with mayo) but will only try a couple - also chicken and bacon, egg mayo and others.
    Sealed Pot challenge 2011 member 1051 - aiming for £365
    Frugal living challenge 2011 £4044 or less!
    Make £11,000 in 2011 £0/£11,000
    Planning a hand-made Christmas 2011
  • edited 1 May 2010 at 7:07PM
    The_ThrillaThe_Thrilla Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 1 May 2010 at 7:07PM
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Thanks for the new thread Penny, now that's some challenge!
    How about today when I wrapped a bottle of water in a microfibre teatowel before placing in my bag to go out for the day? It kept cool and absorbed any drips. We also had a cloth handy for dirty little hands and faces!:D

Thanks for that. What you can also do is put cold drinks in a thermos flask. As they keep hot drinks hot they also keep cold drinks cold. You can even put ice cream in them.

If I make a pot of coffee or tea, I put put what I don't drink in a flask and drink it later. It saves heating it up again in the microwave.
  • lauren_1lauren_1 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im a punk, laddered tights and ripped jeans still get worn. the more holes the better! :)

I dont use washing up liquid or washing powder, stardops does both, put in a pump bottle and use 2 squirts for dishes and an egg cup full for laundry.

I Dont iron.

I stopped using the hoover months ago and the carpets a good sweep every 3 days, gives me a workout! there is 8 rooms plus hallways.

I make my own beauty products

I use a empty spray bottle with stardrops and water for cleaning the kitchen surfaces and cooker top, bleach once a week
  • crusty_toenailcrusty_toenail Forumite
    269 posts
    ✭✭
    If you like the taste of pepsi max but not the price I have discovered a much cheaper and nicer alternative - Freeway diet Cola from Lidl tastes even better that pepsi max and was only 39p per 2 litre bottle last time I was in!!!
    Groceries challenge
    May - £70 so far:beer::beer:

• mummyfrugalmummyfrugal Forumite
    314 posts
    ✭✭
    Hi I only do a deep clean vacuum once a week, but I have a carpet sweeper (like the traditional ewbank), its great for getting up the crumbs and even the cat hairs off the carpet. I plunged for one of these from argos (had a voucher to use up) and have never regretted it, im sure its paid for itself already in un-used electric (and wear and tear on the expensive vac) and is a lighter workout than a dustpan and brush! sometimes the old ideas are the best.:T
    Logic will get you from A to B but imagination can take you anywhere!
    Being honest may not get get you a lot of friends - but it will get you the right ones.
    Let your past make you better, not bitter.
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a carpet sweeper too, they're really good for little jobs and you don't need to hoover so often.